Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   stay home or go?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1189170)

squiddles 04-04-2011 02:46 PM

stay home or go??

My grandpa recently passed away... and his memorial has been set for April 16th.
I live on an island, where I will be having my homebirth.
The memorial will be on the mainland, which we travel by ferry to get to.
The distance from memorial to home (including ferry wait/crossing time) is about 1.5 hours. That is in average traffic.

So, assuming I am still pregnant, I don't know if I should risk going. It would be 5 days before my due date. Both my other kids were born 4 and 5 days before their due date. My last baby was born in an hour and 45 minutes... the midwife didn't even make it to the house in time!

It's not easy for me to just say that I'll stay home... i need to go for closure and healing, for myself and for my family...
But I am TERRIFIED of going into labor so far from home. It has been my policy to not leave the island in the last 3 weeks of pregnancy, for any reason!

I'm bummed because it was originally scheduled for this weekend, which I was more comfortable with... but for silly reasons it got pushed back...

anyways... what would you do??
Ill chat with my midwife about it on wednesday and see what she's comfy with too...

JennTheMomma 04-04-2011 03:02 PM

Re: stay home or go??

I'd go. Even if you end up going into labor while there you should be able to get home in time right? How long were your previous labors for?

squiddles 04-04-2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennTheMomma (Post 12658029)
I'd go. Even if you end up going into labor while there you should be able to get home in time right? How long were your previous labors for?

my first was 14 hours
but my second was one hour and 45 minutes (from the very first sign, to delivery...)

oddly enough, my mom's first two labors were EXACTLY the same lengths... and her 3rd was 4 hours.
So, if I mimic her again, I should be safe! :giggle:

Greenbabybottoms 04-04-2011 04:05 PM

I would feel comfortable going because I know I have very long labors and the chances of me not making it would be super slim. I would probably feel differently though if I had history of very short labors. My biggest concern would probably be having a baby on the ferry, but if there is somewhere private you could go in case it came to that then I'd be more inclined to go. Maybe just wait and see how you are feeling that morning?

kbstanley3 04-04-2011 06:08 PM

I vote to just wait and see how you feel the day of and go with your gut feeling.

tygr2410 04-04-2011 06:12 PM

I have short labor/delivery times also, and I also make it policy not to go more than 30 minutes from home near my edd.

If I were in your shoes, I'd wait till the day of to make the call. With any luck, the baby will be born a few days earlier and it will be a nonissue :)

rainydaysunshine 04-04-2011 07:03 PM

Quote:

If I were in your shoes, I'd wait till the day of to make the call. With any luck, the baby will be born a few days earlier and it will be a nonissue
That. Good luck, mama.

JennTheMomma 04-04-2011 08:27 PM

I guess I would just wait and see how you feel that day. With your other two did you feel like today was going to be it? Like a PP said, I would feel comfortable because ds1 was 27 hours and ds2 was 24 hours 50 minutes, so I think with #3 I will still have time, but who knows. I know with both my boys I just felt off and that it was going to be it.