Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Tell me, whats your fav. way to cook collard greens!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119172)

Nikkis_Little_Ladies 03-25-2007 01:29 PM

Tell me, whats your fav. way to cook collard greens!!

I'm looking for a new way to cook GREENS. Although I love mine, I'm always into trying new things. The way I cook mine is, I take and boil them with water chicken stalk and a small amout of fat back. (YUCK) I don't really like fat back, but its works wonders for Collards. LOL I add natures own seasoning and then a Very small amout of vinager. Then I simmer them for about 4-5 hours. It's a yummy way to cook them!! Try out my way and I'll try your way out. Nikki :goodvibes:

MamaEli 03-25-2007 03:04 PM

Re: Tell me, whats your fav. way to cook collard greens!!

All right, DH is from Kenya and this is how we do it. (Substutite in Kale or Spinach, also)

Cut up the greens well, and I always discard the hard middle stalk
Put about 2-3 T. of oil (I use olive or canola) in a pan and add 2-3 diced roma tomatoes or 1 large regular tomato. 2 cloves of garlic diced, and one medium diced onion. When they're nice and soft, kind of squish up the tomatos so they're just kind of chunky mushy. Add the greens and maybe 1/2 c. of water. Turn the heat of low/med and cook for maybe 20 minutes. Add salt to taste. For added pep, add one or two jalepeno peppers along with the onion, etc.

We usually eat it with stew. Same basic ingredients cooked the same way, but put in diced beef instead of the collards. Feel free to add peas, carrots, etc. and season with salt. And I like to add a Goya spice called Sazon: "cilantro y tomato" Tastes great added into the greens, as well. Add same time as the salt.

Serve with some rice. Serve halved bananas and quarter oranges for "dessert". MMM, might have to eat this tonight, I'm getting hungry!

Nikkis_Little_Ladies 03-25-2007 03:09 PM

:hugs:
Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaEli (Post 873861)
All right, DH is from Kenya and this is how we do it. (Substutite in Kale or Spinach, also)

Cut up the greens well, and I always discard the hard middle stalk
Put about 2-3 T. of oil (I use olive or canola) in a pan and add 2-3 diced roma tomatoes or 1 large regular tomato. 2 cloves of garlic diced, and one medium diced onion. When they're nice and soft, kind of squish up the tomatos so they're just kind of chunky mushy. Add the greens and maybe 1/2 c. of water. Turn the heat of low/med and cook for maybe 20 minutes. Add salt to taste. For added pep, add one or two jalepeno peppers along with the onion, etc.

We usually eat it with stew. Same basic ingredients cooked the same way, but put in diced beef instead of the collards. Feel free to add peas, carrots, etc. and season with salt. And I like to add a Goya spice called Sazon: "cilantro y tomato" Tastes great added into the greens, as well. Add same time as the salt.

Serve with some rice. Serve halved bananas and quarter oranges for "dessert". MMM, might have to eat this tonight, I'm getting hungry!

YUMMY sounds soo good I will for sure try this out.. ty mama !!!

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 03-25-2007 03:16 PM

that sounds good!
a friend of mine gave me her recipe, she is from alabama, and i love these!
i get a pot and add some oil 2 tbpn, i use vegetable, i wash the greens and cut off the bottom part thats harder, once the oil gets hot i add the greens, a little water and seasoned salt, i stir it frequently until the greens get nice and tender. they do shrink so i use the whole bunch at once~ this is really good, we eat it as a side dish often!

MelissaCoffey 03-26-2007 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikki25_3 (Post 873611)
I'm looking for a new way to cook GREENS. Although I love mine, I'm always into trying new things. The way I cook mine is, I take and boil them with water chicken stalk and a small amout of fat back. (YUCK) I don't really like fat back, but its works wonders for Collards. LOL I add natures own seasoning and then a Very small amout of vinager. Then I simmer them for about 4-5 hours. It's a yummy way to cook them!! Try out my way and I'll try your way out. Nikki :goodvibes:

I do them like swiss chard. Don't boil, saute. Can't remember the shape of them, but with chard, you cut the stalks off, stack the leaves and roll into a log shape, then slice. I add them to a pan with either bacon grease (I know, I know) and then let them soften and throw in blue cheese crumbles....or real butter and sprinkle with lemon pepper!

I cook with Nourishing Traditions type ideals so it's pro animal product which may not be what you are looking for, but thought I'd throw it in :goodvibes:

Nikkis_Little_Ladies 03-27-2007 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelissaCoffey (Post 880183)
I do them like swiss chard. Don't boil, saute. Can't remember the shape of them, but with chard, you cut the stalks off, stack the leaves and roll into a log shape, then slice. I add them to a pan with either bacon grease (I know, I know) and then let them soften and throw in blue cheese crumbles....or real butter and sprinkle with lemon pepper!

I cook with Nourishing Traditions type ideals so it's pro animal product which may not be what you are looking for, but thought I'd throw it in :goodvibes:

LOL :laugh: Fat back, comes from animal.. LOL Yes I love my meats. I do however (mostly) use organic meats. Hey it's better then nothing right lol.. But, sometimes my true southern side shows and I will cook real bacon use fat back etc.. lol and YES I do eat DEER MEAT.. YUMMY YUMMY!! Thank you mama.. I will try your way. :hugs:

serinat 04-07-2007 02:07 PM

Chop, saute/steam with olive oil/onions/garlic until just wilted, top with salt to taste and feta cheese. Yum!