Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   sterilizing??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11955)

MomsHelpingMoms 06-06-2006 12:52 AM

sterilizing???

Okay, so while trying to convert a friend of mine over to cloth today this happened...

I was telling her how easy it was and all the different fabrics and such and she asks me, "how do you sterilize them?" I was like, DUHHHHH. I didn't know what to say. I wash on hot and dry on hot with MelaPower from melaleuca so it does have the natural antifungal attributes of tto, but what else should I know? Do our dipes need disinfecting? If so, how do you do it? Thanks!

mama23boys 06-06-2006 10:16 AM

Re: sterilizing???

i thought by washing/drying on hot, using TTO and some sun was enough to take care of the yuckies in the dipes...i mean you could boil them but i cant see doing that for ALL your diapers esp fittteds, prefolds, etc. can you even boil pockets without running them :headscratch: i wouldnt think so.

tntmommy 06-06-2006 10:30 AM

You are not supposed to boil anything that has PUL or elastic in it (or wool). The hot wash is plenty. Most people add some kind of antibacterial or antifungal, like TTO or GSE, every few washes. That's plenty.

kkweight 06-06-2006 03:22 PM

All that diaper services do is use TONS of bleach and HOT water.
Thats one reason ytou want to do a good long wash with the hottest possible water yu can get. Thats enough most times. Then if you add in TTO and GSE that will do a great job. And if thats not enough for you then add some sunning and nothing will live through that.lol
Also, wool and hemp are naturally antifungal, antibacterial, and antimicrobial. So, those are always great to have on hand.
HTH

Psychomom 06-06-2006 03:50 PM

I add a couple of boiling pots of water to the hot wash, but that's about it.

aliks 06-06-2006 03:51 PM

I use tto, my mom said she used bleach on her cd's back in the day and is worried about my son running around in germs, so I told her about tto.

Fullhouse 06-06-2006 04:04 PM

I don't sterilize anything. You don't sterilize your undies do you?:lostit:

*~Mindy~* 06-06-2006 09:33 PM

you cant sterilize fabric! pul is meant to be able to go in an autoclave so thats besides the point since most people dont have an autoclave in their house lol, and the closures and the elastic dont take kindlt to the high heat and pressure anyway... but you can clean really well, and the things mentioned are how yiou do it, nothing else is needed to be added lol

Shaineinok 06-06-2006 11:32 PM

Like sposies are sterile anyway! Wash on hot and dry on hot and it will kill the germs.

MomsHelpingMoms 06-07-2006 01:17 AM

Thanks gals, I thought so, but I just wanted to make sure. I don't add pure oil, but I use TTO laundry detergent so it smells a lot better. That should do the trick then because I do wash and dry on hot. I have never sunned before. Never really had to. I don't have any probs with stains. Thanks again.