Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Testing the WAHM Waters (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Bummed out...advice? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1195541)

cumorah_hill 04-15-2011 04:29 PM

Bummed out...advice?

I was sort of dabbling in selling cloth diapers/trainers. Basically I just sew for my kids right now but something didn't work for my son so I was selling it on here and another mama saw it, fell in love, and wanted me to make a whole bunch of girly ones for her daughter. I had several friends test them out first to make sure it would work out for most kids, and I got good feedback. I used the measurements this woman gave me and made some really cute hybrid trainers (3 shells, 6 snap in liners and 13 inserts). Now this woman says they don't fit right and she doesn't want them. Oh my gosh, I am so bummed and I don't know what to do. anytime this has happened when I was the customer, I never got a refund or was able to return the item. I just lost out on $100+ and was stuck with something that didn't work at all (it happened recently so I am still a little bitter LOL). So its slightly tempting to do that to this woman but I know thats not right and I'm not the kind of person to do that. But I really hate to lose out on the $20+ shipping (if I paid for her to ship them back, plus what I spent to ship them to her in the first place). And I have 3 boys--I have no use for girly trainers. I wasted a ton of fabric and time on these. I wonder if I could just re-make the 3 outer shell parts for her....seems like the best resolution. Or I could have her pay to send them back, refund her money minus shipping to her, and use the snap in liners and inserts for other things (I make hybrid diapers that use them, and I love them, only problem is these ones are pink LOL). What would you guys do if you were me? I'm just depressed. I had been thinking of opening my etsy store back up but this makes me think twice. (I had an etsy store for 2 years then shut it down almost a year ago because this sort of thing was happening too often and it was too stressful).

MamaStick 04-15-2011 06:07 PM

Re: Bummed out...advice?

You only wanted $20? Heck I need cloth badly and would gladly pay that when I get paid this coming week, plus the shipping. I have a 4 mo old girl. That way you don't lose out.

Oh wait, that was shipping alone, ack, sorry! Still new to the cost of cloth :-)

cumorah_hill 04-15-2011 07:14 PM

Yeah the $20 was what round trip shipping would have been (I spent $10 to ship to her). I charged $50 total for all these things, and besides they are trainers for a 2 year old who is potty training. :)

Keiki 04-18-2011 11:24 AM

In my opinion she should have to pay return shipping to you. If you did the diapers per her specifications and it's not your fault they don't work, then she should pay return shipping since it's not your fault.

If however you messed up the sizing, then I would think you should pay return shipping.

If it's just that they didn't work for her child, perhaps you could resell them as used on FSOT?

doodah 04-18-2011 11:57 AM

So what was the exact problem? If you made them as instructed then I wouldn't even return them. If its buyers remorse or she measured incorrectly on her end, than its up to her to resell and find something else. Did you make mistakes on these or what?

5PrincessMommy 04-18-2011 01:31 PM

yes, it really just depends on what the problem is. Did she state how/why they aren't working for her? if there's nothing wrong with the craftsmanship, then it's her problem, she can resell them. If you did something wrong, then it's your problem, kwim?

jamieism 04-18-2011 01:40 PM

I think if the items measure the same as what she gave you, then she should not be able to return them. If you want to be super generous. You could take them back and refund her $ minus 20% restocking fee - she pays shipping back to you.

It's a drag but if it's her mistake then that's generous.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

TakaraBaby 04-18-2011 01:42 PM

I agree with previous posters! If you made them correctly to the measurements she provided, then I think you just need to use some tough love and tell her that you're sorry but you can't take them back as they were custom made for her child. (Also, this is a good time to create your refund/return policy :thumbsup:). Everyone wants to be nice and provide excellent customer service - which I wholeheartedly agree with - but at the same time you can't shoot yourself in the foot. This is a business. You did what you were asked and provided a good product. If she has buyer's remorse then that's too bad.

Now, if she wants to pay to have the trainers shipped back to you, maybe you can offer to re-work them a bit to make them fit better provided it's not too time consuming on your end (since time is money right?).

But unless there was a problem with your work, you shouldn't be out anything. That's just the way it goes.

:hugs: Don't let it get you down mama!! I don't know of a WAHM yet that hasn't had this issue before.

cumorah_hill 04-18-2011 01:43 PM

She says they are too small in the waist and thigh, and too puffy in the crotch and bum. And the rise is too short. I used the measurements she gave me and i am sure that they fit those measurements so I suspect she measured her daughter wrong. I made several others in the exact size for some testers and they all said they fit really well (and those kids are the same size as this customer's daughter). I just don't understand how they could not fit! If anything I expected them to be big on her so I made several snap settings! I've even used them on my 3 year old and they fit him! I think I am going to have her send back part of them (the 3 outer shells that are too small) and she will keep the snap in liners and all the inserts. Those are pretty much OS. I will remake the shells and give those other shells to my friend whose daughter tested these for me and they were a good fit on her. I am having this customer pay for return shipping but it should only be $2 or so, they were very lightweight. I think thats fair, and the best solution for both of us.

megenic 05-14-2011 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doodah (Post 12757149)
So what was the exact problem? If you made them as instructed then I wouldn't even return them. If its buyers remorse or she measured incorrectly on her end, than its up to her to resell and find something else. Did you make mistakes on these or what?

:yeahthat: