Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Medicine giving tips? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1196143)

JustJack 04-16-2011 07:43 PM

Medicine giving tips?

DD is ~6 months and EBF. She is on her first round of abx for ear infection. She will. Not. Take. The. Medicine! She spits it all out. I give a little at a time and I point it to the back of her throat/cheek. I am sure she is getting a tiny tiny bit, but no where close to the 5MLs shes supposed to take. This is her first experience with medicine (besides 1 dose of Tylenol). I guess I am getting payback for all the hassle I gave my mother. I wouldn't take meds either and even had to be hospitalized because of it! My DS is/was a champ med taker so I don't know what to do! Any tips? Like I said she is EBF, no solids, no bottles.

JustJack 04-17-2011 07:06 AM

Re: Medicine giving tips?

Anyone? Guess there isn't much more that I can do. Just keep trying.

Free Thinker 04-17-2011 11:14 AM

I have one DD who is HORRIBLE w/ meds and always has been. THis is going to sound barbaric, but it worked! SHe had to have abx. twice when she was little, and this was the only way we could get the meds into her. First of all get the meds ready, I prefer the syringe thingy like motrin comes in. If you are by yourself sit over her w/ her hands trapped at her sides by your knees (don't put any weight on her, sort of squat holding her tight between your knees). Pinch her mouth open and squirt a small amount into her mouth, then blow in her face. Blowing in her face will make her startle and swallow, it's sort of an automatic response. Keep it up until the entire dose is down her. If you have a helper it's easier! I always tried to time them so DH would be home to help if at all possible. You squat/kneel over her, and have the DH hold her hands down. Do the same thing w/ the blowing in her face after each little bit of meds. Don't try to give too much at once, that can cause her to choke and throw up, you just use little bits of it at a time.

BTW< I had to do this even in the hospital! THe nurses just told me to do whatever I Had to to get her meds down her. They know with little ones it's sometimes hard! They use a full swaddle to keep them still, so you might try that if she's not too big. IF your blankets won't work you can try a sheet ;)

I know all of that sounds horrible, but when you are dealing w/ a kid who HAS to have the meds, you just have to deal with it. When my DD was old enough I always requested chewable form if possible, she still balks at liquid meds at age 6. Best of luck and hope she is feeling better soon!

stevensmom 04-17-2011 11:18 AM

DD just finished up her round of abx for a double ei. She had only been on medicine once before and sounded just like you dd. She would spit it out.

this time around I started off..."yummy medicine!" and would give her the tinniest amout and then hold her jaw shut so she'd have to swallow. The first time took us about 20minutes to get the entire dose in. From then on she took it well.

:hugs: its no fun having a sick kiddo, and then one that doesnt want to take meds.

try putting a few drops of your breastmilk in her ears...i heard that works too, just like when they have an eye infection

ktmamma 04-17-2011 12:43 PM

BM in the ears works really well for ear infections (I SWEAR by it. Both of my kids have had ear infections that cleared up within 24 hours of getting BM in the ears.)

My oldest had trouble taking meds around that age and we did swaddle her and gently blow on her face to get her to swallow. We also tried the binky medicine dispenser (do they still make those?) and it worked pretty well too.

JustJack 04-17-2011 12:49 PM

Thanks mamas! I'll try those. Hopefully the blowing in the Face trick works!

mysticmomma1879 04-17-2011 12:55 PM

Slip the syringe in while she is nursing.

mysticmomma1879 04-17-2011 12:56 PM

We also used to mix the medicine half breast milk half meds and give two syringes over an hours time.

jenbabekitty 04-17-2011 08:13 PM

This sounds awful but hold her nose. It worked for us. He spit a mouthful of claritin in my face last week. I had to hold the booger down and hold his nose. He finally took it! But he's 2 so I don't know if that would work for a younger baby.

Sent from my iPhone so watch for weird posts! ;)

badmisterkitty 04-18-2011 01:20 PM

Blowing in the face works like a charm. Our littlest is a resister, too.