Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Do you pre-read library books? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1196678)

MamaNae 04-17-2011 10:48 PM

Do you pre-read library books?

DS1 picked out a book, generally I'll do a quick flip through just to make sure they're not mini-novels (they get 3 books a night, I will not read huge long books though LOL) but never really glance at the content (aside from vetoing most character books)

Well I was reading DS their book and one had a man in a car with a speech bubble that said &@(*%# above it and then the actual page was something along the lines of "The boys learned a lot of new vocabulary words that day"

Not my husband curses like a truck driver who used to be a sailor who is in a motorcycle gang so I'm not super sensitive to the 4-letter words...but this sort of made me :headscratch: LOL I'm sure some people wouldn't really appreciate the book...

Do you pre-read library books before reading them to your kids?? (not like Harry Potter/etc...but just the Children's picture books...)

stevensmom 04-17-2011 10:50 PM

Re: Do you pre-read library books?

I flip through them...of course we have a library of books in our house and I've read all of them at least once ... my old classroom stash

MyKylie 04-17-2011 11:26 PM

I scan over them real quick. I have gotten books that I got home and read and thought, oh my gosh this is never coming back in the this house! I hide it til its time to go back to the library!

eek 04-17-2011 11:30 PM

I've read that book! :giggle: Don't they go to a friend's house and watch a video that they learn those words from? I can't remember which book that was!

love2bmommy 04-17-2011 11:34 PM

Not really. I flip through it really quick to make sure it's not in Spanish and doesn't have a million words on a page, but that's about it. Since my kids can't read and I'm the only one who reads to them, I can "edit" something out while reading and then hide the book if I come across something I don't approve of.

MamaNae 04-17-2011 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eek (Post 12754521)
I've read that book! :giggle: Don't they go to a friend's house and watch a video that they learn those words from? I can't remember which book that was!

No, it's The Two boys that had the best week ever or something along those lines. They went on a hiking trip and the dad or whoever was driving taught them the words LOL

I never pre-read, I just flip through and make sure there aren't 9 million words or boring pictures haha

DS1 is a VERY good reader so he is the one that asked me what &$#(*$@ spelled haha

eek 04-17-2011 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaNae (Post 12754534)
No, it's The Two boys that had the best week ever or something along those lines. They went on a hiking trip and the dad or whoever was driving taught them the words LOL

I never pre-read, I just flip through and make sure there aren't 9 million words or boring pictures haha

DS1 is a VERY good reader so he is the one that asked me what &$#(*$@ spelled haha

Well darn it, now that's going to drive me nuts.:giggle: I guess there's two books out there that have that in it! My 5 year old brought the one I'm thinking of home from school.

syfitz 04-18-2011 09:52 AM

I pre-read everything my kids read. Which means these days I don't get to read anything for myself, but I think it is important. There really is a lot of junk out there. :(

badmisterkitty 04-18-2011 09:55 AM

In general, no. I flip through to make sure it looks like something she'll like. I know I've had to creatively edit a couple of stories, though.

tallanvor 04-18-2011 10:32 AM

Typically, yes. If it is an author or book I'm not familiar with, I will. I read much of what my older kids read, too. They are 10 and 8.