Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Who did acupuncture to start labor? **UPDATE** (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11968)

momof4 06-06-2006 04:29 AM

Who did acupuncture to start labor? **UPDATE**

If you did this, please share with me where they placed needles, and whether it worked or not for you, and whether you think it made a difference in the intensity of contractions vs. letting labor start on its own. I'm trying to decide whether to go ahead with this or not -- I'm a few days short of 37 weeks, and will have to fight with my OB, who feels I ought to have a c/s if I go past 40.

Thanks!

Jemgirl 06-06-2006 07:16 AM

Re: Who did acupuncture to start labor?

I didn't for starting labor, but I did for helping with morning sickness in the first trimester.......it was INCREDIBLY helpful for 2 days, and then I'd start feeling it again, so what I really needed was acupuncture every three days - lol:)

pnwmom 06-07-2006 05:18 PM

I did it when he was three days overdue. I don't remember where they put the needles-definitely on the wrist and ankles though. I had acup at 9 that morning and went into labor at 11pm. It definitely worked for us.:thumbsup:

CourtneyinAlaska 06-07-2006 07:43 PM

I did it. I think it worked. I was over due and my labor started withing 24 hours. The needles weren't placed in any "weird" locations. I wore a tank and shorts and didn't have to disrobe. I remember needles in my back, hands, right between my eyebrows, and my pinky toe. That one hurt! It was soooo worth it though. I would try to wait till 39 weeks though. IMO.

momof4 06-08-2006 07:59 PM

Talked to the acupuncturist yesterday. He said he didn't think he could help me unless I was showing "signs of readiness", like effacement and dilation. Well, this is my 4th kid, and by the time I'm effaced and starting to dilate, I'll very likely already by IN labor! Oh well, it was a good thought... I have about 3 weeks before I'll have to fight my OB about having a c/s.

jedibunni 06-08-2006 08:11 PM

I had it done and I don't know that it started it but I thought it helped me relax..... I had my DD a week early though!!!

Mount*n*sunshine 06-08-2006 08:36 PM

I did that and it worked well. Went in just hours before the OB scheduled the c-sect :thumbsup:

sparkygirl74 06-08-2006 10:25 PM

I had it at four and by six regular contx had started. My accupuncturist said it would work if your body was ready......I am not sure about the dialation and effacement thing though. I was in hard labor for hours before I did either, and then only after my water had broken. Everyone is different I guess!

momof4 06-10-2006 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainsunshine
I did that and it worked well. Went in just hours before the OB scheduled the c-sect :thumbsup:

WOW, how much in advance did you schedule it? Thanks, mamas; I'm happy to hear these success stories. Maybe I won't give up just yet. What does it mean "your body is ready," if not effacement and dilation?

a_cthelen 06-14-2006 11:17 AM

Your head also needs to ready...do you have any subconscious worries (like the c-section)? I had acupuncture when I was 2 weeks, 3 days late and started labor within 24 hours. I would fight your doc on the c-section unless the baby or you is unhealthy. As for the placement of needles, I had six in my lower back, one on each ankle, and one at each space between thumb and pointer finger. It was great!

HTH! :goodvibes: