Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Please tell me why... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1197152)

Lanasmom 04-18-2011 07:20 PM

Please tell me why...

My DD (who will be 3 tomorrow) screams BLOODY MURDER every time I try to brush her hair. She literally SCREAMS and cries every time I brush her hair! I use detangler spray. I brush gently. She acts like this is the end of the world.

I know I'm not hurting her. This is the same child who DIDN'T EVEN WHIMPER :headscratch: when her ears were pierced on Saturday. (Ear piercing was a reward for completely PL'ing. She had been asking for "rings in her ears" for months, and this was our way to PL her:lostit:). She sat in the ear piercing chair and just let them pierce her ears. She winced for a minute, but not one tear escaped.

However, to brush her hair....THE WORST FORM OF TORTURE!:giggle2:

Anyone else???

MamaStick 04-18-2011 07:29 PM

Re: Please tell me why...

My 6 year old is like that. Could be sensory related. I run my free hand over her head after the brush so it is like I am stroking her head. Helps some.

Suzi 04-18-2011 07:38 PM

Ok my experience is with my bf's dd (who I live with so kinda like step dd) so I've only been in the hair business a couple of years.

Does she scream with everyone? K screams for her dad but never lets out a peep for me. We tested a bunch of brushes and combs once and K got to pick the best brush for us to use.

What I do that is different than her dad. I comb parts that are already combed so it can't be pulling. I start at the very tips and work my way up. I also give no response when she screams. Her dad uses the detangler spray and I don't. When K will let me we will rinse her hair with conditioner and that helps sooooo much. But, she doesn't like the extra rinse, lol, so we have knots instead.

nakedbabytoes 04-18-2011 08:03 PM

I always hated other people touching/brushing my hair. Can you teach her to brush it herself? My mom kept mine short until I was old enough to take care of it myself. She said it was like giving a cat a bath trying to brush my hair(or wash it).
I still hate people touching my hair. I get it trimmed like once a year(they lop off like a ft each time) because it grates on me like nails on a chalkboard. Drives me crazy!!!

Lanasmom 04-18-2011 08:13 PM

She only screams with me! It doesn't matter if her hair is wet or dry. Sometimes I will put conditioner in it in the shower to make it easier to brush...still screams. She screams when I wash her hair, but not a peep for her Daddy! Grandma and Nana can both brush her hair without issue. Just me! I promise I'm not rough. I do the stroking thing after each brush and I also brush it even when I'm not trying to fix it! She doesn't have much hair. She didn't have ANY hair until she was 1, now she has short hair with curl at the end. She has only had 2 hair cuts b/c that is all she needed. I can't let her do it herself b/c of the little bit of curl when she wakes up in the am it looks like rats have been sleeping in her hair!

badmisterkitty 04-18-2011 08:33 PM

I don't know, but if you figure it out let me know. I cannot fathom this problem because I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to have my hair brushed, combed, or touched in any way possible. DD apparently feels differently.

She's only 3, so she's horrible at combing her own.....sigh.....

It got better when we informed her that it wasn't a choice. Also helps some to do it in front of the tv or while she's playing with something. And it got way better after she got head lice....that was the longest, worst week of my LIFE!

Lanasmom 04-18-2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badmisterkitty (Post 12760852)
I don't know, but if you figure it out let me know. I cannot fathom this problem because I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to have my hair brushed, combed, or touched in any way possible. DD apparently feels differently.

She's only 3, so she's horrible at combing her own.....sigh.....

It got better when we informed her that it wasn't a choice. Also helps some to do it in front of the tv or while she's playing with something. And it got way better after she got head lice....that was the longest, worst week of my LIFE!

Thank you for your sympathy! And so sorry about the headlice thing, I can imagine that being awful! I also love my hair to be touched, and so does DD, just for some reason NOT BY ME! :banghead:

uoducks 04-18-2011 08:52 PM

yes, my 4yr old daughter is like this..if yours has curly hair too, I would cut it a bit to help out with the brushing. I cut her hair and it really helped the combing and it's still shoulder length when dry.

psylion 04-18-2011 09:58 PM

OMG my DD is the same way. It us so bad now that sometimes she starts screaming and crying before I even touch her. She just sees me with the brush and loses it. I try my best to be gentle. Her hair has some curl so it does tangle. She just must be the most tender-headed kid ever. She is better with DH but he pretty much refuses to do it. What winds up happening is that I let it go and do the brushing every few days in the bath with the conditioner in it.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

L&A'smommy 04-19-2011 08:26 AM

When I was a child I was EXTREMELY tender headed. I cried each and every day that my mom brushed my hair. I remember it hurting so bad even though she was gentle. To this day I am a bit tender headed. I always have to bite my lip when the hairdresser is brushing my hair to trim or do whatever.

Knowing this, my beautiful 3 year old is also tender headed. When she was younger she would cry when I tried to brush her hair until I figured out a way to brush it so that she isn't in pain. Every once in a while if there is a knot she'll cry when I am gently trying to brush it out. We also have a big bottle of detangler handy.

When I was little my mom figured out that if she braided my hair before bed that there would be a lot less knots in the morning and it would hurt me less to brush my hair. Maybe you could try this?