Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Summer care for schoolagers? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1197867)

skolbut 04-19-2011 10:41 PM

Summer care for schoolagers?

Hi mamas,
I'm a teacher by trade but currently SAH with my littles (a product of our crappy economy). Our neighbor has two school age boys, 6 and 8, and has asked if I'd be interested in watching them for the summer. Legally I can do it without a license, because I can watch up to two unrelated kids. They're easy, awesome kids and I really think it will be more fun than work to have them here.

Now, my dilemma... what should I charge?? A friend of mine suggested $25 per kid per day, so $250 a week? I know for my littles that would be a steal, I think the going rate is about 175 a week for a 2yo, but I have NO IDEA what to charge for an easy, big kid. PLUS, the whole point is to save their family some money, and I need to cover my food and expenses (breakfast and lunch and some gas).

Any other opinions?? Michigan's COL is lower than say California or NYC so take that into consideration, too :)

doodah 04-20-2011 11:36 AM

Re: Summer care for schoolagers?

What is she willing to pay? I would have them eat breakfast at home and bring a sack lunch. Thats what they would do during the school year anyway.

skolbut 04-20-2011 06:47 PM

I would but mom and dad leave for work early. The big boys would have to sit and watch my kids eat breakfast -- no fun. We're pretty simple in the morning anyway.

Kriket 04-20-2011 07:13 PM

What kind of hours is she wanting?

skolbut 04-20-2011 08:54 PM

7-5 at least. Maybe 6 if dad gets stuck at work, 4 if dad can get home early enough.

nakedbabytoes 04-20-2011 10:47 PM

When I took older kids during the summer, I charged $75 per child for FT summer care. But that was nearly 8 plus years ago & I lived in a low income area.
I'd call around, get prices of small at home daycares in your area. Then charge something similar. Maybe less but not by a ton. You are providing a service, your kids do have to share their time & space & home & mom. So don't sell yourself short. Easy of not, likable or not, it's still work. And getting up early. And being at the whim of others. And someone else's kids & parenting.
I even have my own schoolager do half days with like aged peers(camps or rec programs) even though I'm here all day doing daycare myself. You will have to entertain & stimulate. You wont just get big kid helpers. If anything, I find older kids more exhausting! That's why I don't do schoolagers during the summer anymore.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Kriket 04-21-2011 05:15 PM

wow, 10 hours? I'd say the $250/wk your friend suggested. That seems so high.. I mean, that's my entire income :blush: I forget sometimes that people have 'real' jobs and make $100k or more, and can afford $1000/m for child care! :giggle:

slimy72 04-21-2011 05:21 PM

I really wouldn't think that they should be any cheaper than a potty trained toddler, sure they're older, but they also eat more. I think $20-$25 a day per kid sounds fair. We pay in the $25-30 a day range for toddler care and I think we're pretty similar COL to you.

Kriket 04-21-2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nakedbabytoes (Post 12776709)
If anything, I find older kids more exhausting! That's why I don't do schoolagers during the summer anymore.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

ITA. I've thought about doing in home after #2 is a year old. I do in YOUR home now, and he's 6 this year, and sooo exausting. Everything is a fight, everything is sassy, everything is "You can't do that, you'll get fired" "You're being a bad baby sitter" etc. (things like me telling him to get a ball he flung across the yard that the dog's chewing on. how dare I)

I've capped my personal limit at 5 years.

jac1976 04-21-2011 05:27 PM

I know around here (PA) the YMCA's summer camp is $150/wk for one school age child from 9-4. That includes all sorts of crafts, a weekly field trip and swimming. So I would think that $125/wk is a little on the expensive side for just watching them in your home.