Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   diaper sprayer....a need? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11985)

myajdw 06-06-2006 07:27 AM

diaper sprayer....a need?

okay so this is something that was not even on my list, that i didn't even know about until i was on this board. is this something that is necessary or not? how does this work? do you hook it up to your sink and it's kinda like a mini shower for the diaper and you just spray the poo off into the toilet? am i going to need this or not?

tntmommy 06-06-2006 07:38 AM

Re: diaper sprayer....a need?

For me, yes it's a neccesity. I couldn't live without one!!! I know some people dunk and swish, but it's not for me. Mine attatched to the inlet valve on the toilet. It was really easy to install. Also, BFed poop is water soluable, so I do know that some put poopy dipes in without spraying as long as baby is EBF.

aimeemarie 06-06-2006 07:40 AM

I'm waiting for mine. I need it!!! I've been spraying off poo in the kitchen sink but as her poo gets progessively thicker, that's just NOT working for us. Eck! I have dunked but it grosses me out. So I *think* it's going to be awesome.

zonapellucida 06-06-2006 08:23 AM

I started without one and finally bought one after everyone convinced me I REALLY needed one. Guess what, I have used it MAYBE three times and I have yet to set it up since I have moved. DH will use it though. I guess I am not put of by putting my hands in poop! :giggle:

bfoster2000 06-06-2006 08:30 AM

Well, the people who have them swear by them and the ones who don't get by just fine. I've thought about trying it out but haven't really felt the need. It seems like it would be a huge mess! My understanding is that it's like the sprayer on your kitchen sink, except that it attaches to the toilet so that you can spray the poop off. Maybe I'm not picturing it right but it seems like it would splash everywhere and just make a bigger mess? I have a toddler who still has poops ranging from pure liquid to peanut butter consistency to grown up consistency. When I remove a poopy diaper, I turn it wrong side out, hold on to the clean dry parts, dunk the poopy part in the toilet, and flush. The swirling water generally gets most of the mess off...sometimes it takes two flushes. Then, still holding the clean dry parts of the diaper, I turn it back right side out and drop it in the pail. I don't bother wringing it out and I've never touched poop while rinsing and swishing. It's just not a big problem for me. When I started, I thought I'd definitely want a sprayer because everyone raved about them. I didn't have the money right then but it was near the top of my list of things to buy when the money came in. As time has gone on, it's slowly moved down the list because there was always something more important. Good luck!

myajdw 06-06-2006 08:31 AM

okay so maybe i will get one lol. how much do these usually run? i know dh will not be putting his hands in poop....or my nieces so yes i guess i need one. i will be EBF, however i cannot see just tossing those into the pail and the wash as is....maybe i'll see that differently once ds is here i dunno.

myajdw 06-06-2006 08:33 AM

also, is there a store you can buy these at or is it strictly an online thing?

zonapellucida 06-06-2006 09:26 AM

I got mine off this board for $25.00. I am sure you can probably find them in the toilet section of a hardware store??? They woudl fall under the catagory "bidet".

PS I don't even rinse the BF poop diapes. They just get dumped in the pail.

tntmommy 06-06-2006 09:31 AM

I've looked at Home Depot, Menards, and Lowe's out of curiosity, and no luck. You can call a local plumbing supply and ask if they have "hand held bidets". All the ones I checked with locally can special order them and they cost more than the ones online that way.

iKim 06-06-2006 09:47 AM

I just bought mine yesterday from a Mama here, I think she has a great price.
www.cottonmamma.com

hth,
Kim :goodvibes: