Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Strangers asking to hold baby? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1199239)

allisonrose 04-22-2011 12:00 PM

Strangers asking to hold baby?

Hubby and I went out to breakfast with our toddler and 3 month old. An elderly lady came over and asked to hold the baby. I just pretended not to hear her and pulled him closer. I felt a bit mean but I don't know her. What do you do when people ask?

trying4more 04-22-2011 12:05 PM

Re: Strangers asking to hold baby?

When DS was 7 days old, I took my mom to a doctor and while waiting for her, a young man asked how old the baby was, then reached his arms out for the baby and said "can I hold him?"....Umm...NO!!!!
He said he had a baby and knew how to hold babies. I still refused!

Vivhop98 04-22-2011 12:05 PM

I had people do this to me, and I just said, "no I don't want anyone holding him/her because I am overly worried about germs. I just made it about me, but thought it was so weird. :)

carsonsmommy1108 04-22-2011 12:07 PM

I can honestly say I've never had a stranger ask to hold my baby...but I get irritated when people even touch my kid (and he's 2 now, so its not like he's a tiny little newb, but I still don't like it) so I really have no idea what I'd say...but I certainly wouldn't let them hold my kid!

bootiecutie 04-22-2011 12:07 PM

I just said "she in a stage where she gets freaked out by strangers." It usually helped that she had no interest in being held by anyone but me.

mommyria2 04-22-2011 12:07 PM

I've never had that happen to me but I probably would've done the same thing as you, and felt bad about it. People, especially old ladies, like babies - I get that. But it's just weird to ask a stranger to hold their baby. I would not feel comfortable with that at all.

dustileigh 04-22-2011 12:19 PM

That's about the time I whip out a breast and inform the asker that it is time for the baby to eat. Problem solved :)

EmmaLaurel 04-22-2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bootiecutie (Post 12786955)
I just said "she in a stage where she gets freaked out by strangers." It usually helped that she had no interest in being held by anyone but me.

This exactly. And it's always been true, too. DD knows who her people are and never wanted to be passed around to strangers. Creepy!

Truckerswife 04-22-2011 12:42 PM

when my babies are tiny i ware them in a ring sling anytime we go out this keeps most people from wanting to hold them because they look so cozy i can also claim there eating in the sling and can't get out

aumismommy 04-22-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustileigh (Post 12787047)
That's about the time I whip out a breast and inform the asker that it is time for the baby to eat. Problem solved :)

:roflmbo: hilarious!