Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   2011 Due Daters (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Is it ridiculous for me to even consider... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1200185)

passthepickles 04-24-2011 09:28 PM

Is it ridiculous for me to even consider...

naming my child Harrison?

Because my last name is Vlasic. Like the pickle.

Do you think people will pick up on the pickle connection and call him Harry Pickle? Lol???! Or am I totally over-analyzing?

I was talking about names with my aunt today and I told her that I can't give the baby that name even though it's my absolute favorite boy name ever. She said I am crazy and that nobody is going to make the association. I think they will-- but I am super careful because my FIL's name is Peter and he caught hell for his name all his life. But, he was young when Vlasic pickles were really advertised, etc...

What do you guys think? I am still leaning towards no. Lol...

Scaethach 04-24-2011 10:01 PM

Re: Is it ridiculous for me to even consider...

I think if kids want to make fun of the last name they're going to - but I don't think that having that first name makes it any more or less likely. And I've never heard the reference in slang or anything... I don't see why not.

Piper4242 04-24-2011 11:19 PM

I would never have thought or put that together. I think you should go with the name you love!

maple79vt 04-25-2011 06:27 AM

When I think of pickles I think of pickles, not the brand. I think that's true with kids to. If you like the name I'd use it. I would have never made the connection.

cdwelton 04-25-2011 09:56 AM

I wouldn't have put that together! Although it is still a popular brand of pickles, its not really in commercials. I dont think he will be made fun of. :)

RockinLou 04-25-2011 04:47 PM

I love Harrison, you are TOTALLY over analyzing it... Now if the last name were actually pickle and you called him Harry as a nickname I could see it... But Harrison Vlassic to Harry Vlasic to Harry Pickle is far too big a leap for the elementary school goons who give kids a hard time over these things!

I plan on Bennett, not ever calling him Benny, to me Harry is not any more of a natural nickname to Harrison, so you can easily divert it!

chickpeaz 05-04-2011 07:38 PM

I only know one Harrison and he's always just Harrison. No nicknames. So I think you'll be safe! I wouldn't have made the leap to Harry Pickle and I doubt that kids in school will, either. Although I think it's true that you should never underestimate the power of hurtful nicknames, I wouldn't worry too much about that one.