Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Western Canada (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   Help me, Looks like we are going to be moving to Sask (yorkton area) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1200486)

lauren420 04-25-2011 01:58 PM

Help me, Looks like we are going to be moving to Sask (yorkton area)

So it looks like we are going to be moving to Saskatchewan in August, my Brother lives there and he is offering up his house (rent free) for a year, we can't say no to that, we are struggling here in toronto, rent is SUPER expensive (1,300$ a month) Whats it like living out there? Anyone have any helpfull links to places where a mom can meet new people? Am I going to hate it?

uncannycanuck 05-17-2011 01:38 PM

Re: Help me, Looks like we are going to be moving to Sask (yorkton area)

Well, I'm not in Yorkton (I'm in Saskatoon), but I'd say a year rent free sounds fabulous! Just get involved, and you'll be fine. If you're church people, they usually have programs and volunteer opportunities. If no-go on church, just look for other places in the community to help out. There are always ways to find some other moms to hang out with.

katesmash 08-03-2011 01:01 PM

I would just make sure that if you need to move out after 1 year, you get on a wait list (assuming you are renting again) ASAP. I don't know what it's like in Yorkton, but here the wait lists for housing is ridiculous!

lauren420 08-07-2011 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katesmash (Post 13488533)
I would just make sure that if you need to move out after 1 year, you get on a wait list (assuming you are renting again) ASAP. I don't know what it's like in Yorkton, but here the wait lists for housing is ridiculous!

We are staying on our family farm, the house has been empty for 3 years,!! We can stay as long as we need, probably at least 5 years, after that, we are probably going to buy it from him!! We fly out on August 19th, and I can't wait!!!

amandajiggles 08-07-2011 08:01 AM

A friend of mine lives in Saskatoon.. she has a 4-5 year old girl? and a 4 month old little guy. She is constantly posting pics of them on facebook at the children's museum (they have a membership). She has made good friends with a couple of the moms there as well. They are constantly posting pics of play dates. Hope that helps! UGH.. Toronto rent! We're in Niagara but the rental prices are still outrageous. So happy that we finally were able to purchase a home of our own. Best of luck with the move! What a great brother you have!

MySonsClothBum 10-22-2011 10:08 PM

hows things going out there LAuren?

lauren420 10-30-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MySonsClothBum (Post 13988412)
hows things going out there LAuren?

It kinda sucks and its SUPER lonley :( I miss my family and friends, and I dont know if I am cut out for county living, moving From T.O. to the middle of nowhere is a big change... The kids seem to love it though, so that is gooD!

tanyamelby 11-02-2011 11:13 PM

do you ever come to Regina at all???

ALovelyStart 11-08-2011 03:14 PM

He He He! I knew I knew your move sounded familiar! (on the other group!) lol Now I remember reading this when you first posted and thinking if I was still a Sask girl, I would help you feel at home! (hugs)

lauren420 11-09-2011 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALovelyStart (Post 14088280)
He He He! I knew I knew your move sounded familiar! (on the other group!) lol Now I remember reading this when you first posted and thinking if I was still a Sask girl, I would help you feel at home! (hugs)

Hehe, thanks Michelle :hugs: