Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   going back to work after 2 1/2 yrs .... EEEkkkkk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1204829)

Aidensmommalove 05-02-2011 08:49 PM

going back to work after 2 1/2 yrs .... EEEkkkkk

Im so nervous and tense and scared and just have a huge knot in my stomach. I have to go back to work after being out of the "scene" since january 2009 :thud:

I honestly dont want to but at this point i have to:cry: Im blessed i was able to stay with him this long but i kinda just needed some support. Its my pity party and i can cry if i want to :(

I just feel like this is not possible, like i will never be able to do this. Im so nervous cause i feel like im out of the loop from "the real world" I havent been in a social setting on a day to day basis since i had to leave work way back when. Im mean ive basically been hanging out with my son for going on 2 yrs now :blush: so my face to face socializing is just not on par with other "normal" 24 yr olds (or atleast thats my fear). All the people i know my age are party animals and i dont knock it but i feel like i wont have much in common with them. I feel like the old fuddy duddy :( Its so disheartening cause i think i have actually created this little fear monster in my belly that makes my feel sick to my stomache whe i think about doing this.

Well as far as working is concerned im good at 2 things (or use to be)

Administrative assistant, but ive been out of the loop and think i should probably attend a MS class just to catch up and

Waitressing which i was absolutely great at and made ALOT of money for what i did. I worked thursday, friday, saturday and sunday and made 700-800 a week but the fear monster has me feeling crippled. I just dont know if i could be that carismatic, outgoing and fearless person i use to be.

My biggest fear is ill go and really try to do this and ill fail. I dont want to come across as lazy, which i might have through my tear feast, i want to work. I just want to feel confident in doing it.

end of pity party :hide:

wlillie 05-02-2011 09:26 PM

Re: going back to work after 2 1/2 yrs .... EEEkkkkk

:hugs: You'll be fine. I would bet that after two weeks back in whichever job you choose, that your social anxiety will be gone.

newmommy13 05-03-2011 07:45 AM

i agree with the PP. i actually feel kind of ill in sympathy for you. :( but the first day will be the worst, then it will get a little easier each day afterwards. you might just find that a little break is a good thing and come to look forward to it! i know it sounds crazy, but when i was working a few hours in the afternoon it was my relaxation time. :giggle: i got to pee when i wanted to pee, sit down when i wanted to sit down, be ALONE for a few minutes at least. i don't know that you would have those opportunities as a waitress but i would think you might in an administrative position.

don't even consider for a minute that being a mother has made you weak or lazy. i think that probably you have gained a perspective that other 24 year olds don't have, and that will translate in the workplace as better time management and multitasking skills. anyone who has ever BFed while on the phone and folding laundry (maybe even with one eye on a toddler) will tell you that being a mother comes along with its own skill set. :rofl:

as hard as it is, you will just have to try to have faith in yourself. your idea about taking a class is a great one, though i think after you get back into it you will pick it up like riding a bike. and really the same goes for waitressing. if you had good customer service skills before they have only gotten better. you have the toughest customer ever that you are waiting on 24/7. :giggle: as far as being fearless...you cloth diaper. it doesn't seem like much now, but to the rest of the world that is a terrifying thought. you came, you snappied, you conquered!

i'll be thinking of you mama!

psylion 05-03-2011 05:51 PM

I stayed home with DD for the first two and a third years and I felt pretty nervous about stepping back into the work world also. I work in a field that involves a lot of interaction with the public and speaking in front of groups so it was even scarier after being in sweatpants with a toddler. But you know what I was back in the swing of things after only a couple of weeks (except the early mornings that still sucks). DD adjusted to daycare even quicker. You'll do fine. Enjoy your newfound opportunity to speak to adults and pee by yourself. It is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

MyKzooFamily 05-09-2011 10:01 AM

Right there with you! (kind of). I'm 24 and returning to work after I have been home with DS for the last 2 years. He is 2 1/2, and I have been home with him since he was 6 months old. It was WAY too hard trying to take turns waking up at night and then both of us working. So I stayed home after that and did the night shift with DS, and it worked so much better.

Now that DS is 2 1/2, I have to return to work because my work-at-home job ended, and I feel like DS is old enough to enjoy daycare and playing with others. I know he misses socialization, because he loves having kids over. I'm excited to see how he does, and a little nervous. I've been out of the social loop for so long, I miss it. I don't know how alot of SAHM's do it, I give them lots of credit! Being home with a child full time can be hard, especially on misfit and everything-is-going-wrong days. :) I'm excited because I miss interacting with other people, and not just staring at my same walls every day and trying to carry on a conversation with DS about juice, the number 2, and puppies. :giggle2:

I'm sure you will really enjoy getting out again, and DS will really enjoy the playmates and interaction he gets at daycare! :D

Aidensmommalove 05-09-2011 07:37 PM

Thank you so much ladies!!! You really are making me feel alot better, but i am gonna sta by going to the county college just to take some refresher courses on Microsoft Office and maybe 1 or 2 more things i think it will help with my social anxiet, hopefully :) Im going to be very positive about it and keep you posted.