Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Regulating baby's temp at night (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120605)

Lisa-Rachelle 03-27-2007 07:48 PM

Regulating baby's temp at night

DD just started sleeping in her own crib, in her own room, about 2 weeks ago. She was an exclusive co-sleeper before that.

I'm having a hard time getting her body temp comfortable at night. When she initially goes to bed (around 7:30) its usually very warm in her room, so I dress her in a onsie and socks. But by the time midnight rolls around, its cooler and her little legs and arms feel somewhat chilled. She kicks the blanket off, and I dont want to wake her and put her through changing clothes.

I tried just leaving the heat vent open in her room, but then it got TOO warm and she was sweating.

I guess because Im new to her being in her own space; I'm sortof stumped on what to do here.

What do you dress your babies in at night? How do you make sure they are warm/cool enough?

blissfullyblessed 03-27-2007 07:54 PM

Re: Regulating baby's temp at night

DD doesn't use blankets either for covers. I've always put her in footed pj's. If it's warmer in her room when she goes down I'll keep the fan on low until I go to bed, or a little before. It took me a while to know what to put her in too :)

rafrach 03-27-2007 08:36 PM

I'm a big fan of sleeping bags/sleeps sacks. They always kept my boys happy. You can buy them in several thicknesses to suit your climate, and you can adjust what you dress your child in "inside" e.g full PJ's when it's colder or just a onesie when warmer. Another great plus is that they're super soft and snuggly, and they don't get lost in the middle of the night!

cynbu 03-28-2007 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rafrach (Post 884262)
I'm a big fan of sleeping bags/sleeps sacks. They always kept my boys happy. You can buy them in several thicknesses to suit your climate, and you can adjust what you dress your child in "inside" e.g full PJ's when it's colder or just a onesie when warmer. Another great plus is that they're super soft and snuggly, and they don't get lost in the middle of the night!

:yeahthat: My son just started sleeping in his crib too. These have worked great for us.

Lisa-Rachelle 03-28-2007 11:02 AM

Where do ya'll recommend buying the sleep sacks?

bluebonnet 03-28-2007 12:41 PM

I use footed pjs. I got nervous using sleep sacks once my DD could stand up (and would) in her crib and try to walk.

We do not have air conditioning in my house and since we live in New England, it gets very cold in the winter. I'd set my furnace on 65, put her in a short sleeve onsie and then the fuzzy footed pjs.

Now that it is not as cold, It is just the fuzzy footed pjs w/o the onsie. Once it gets warmer, I might switch to a short sleeve onsie AND a very thin cotton footed PJ and eventually, I'll just have her in the thin cotton footed PJ

If she is hot or cold, she'll wake you up and let you know she's unhappy. Otherwise, she's probably fine in what you have her in...

Just another note....if your child is under 1 year, be careful of overheating her. That is one of the risk factors for SIDS. You can check on her before you go to bed and if she is sweating a lot around the neck, then she is probably a bit to warm...:thumbsup:

rafrach 03-28-2007 06:03 PM

We used Gro-Bags, from the UK, so not much help there unless you can find a US outlet. But they were very hard wearing, well made, and had nice prints!

kezoo 03-28-2007 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rafrach (Post 884262)

Us, too. Worked great for my first and now my second. :D

kezoo 03-28-2007 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rafrach (Post 887956)
We used Gro-Bags, from the UK, so not much help there unless you can find a US outlet. But they were very hard wearing, well made, and had nice prints!

Those are the ones we use! Love 'em. I actually bought directly from the UK (they were undercharging on shipping, so I didn't pay an outrageous amount). After that, I bought from GroBag's Canadian outlet: www.grobag.ca. :)

mom2kailinconnor 03-28-2007 06:19 PM

DS just pretty much sleeps in a diaper and socks only since it is getting warmer here :D