Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   2011 Due Daters (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   my nipples are cracked--- OUCH! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1206072)

haddockhouse 05-04-2011 07:52 PM

my nipples are cracked--- OUCH!

Hey Mamas!
I posted something in the "Breastfeeding" forum, but wanted to here too for extra help.
My milk came in last night :yay: ...but my nipples are cracked :(

I read some things online trying to find out what causes is and what can help... and noticed Ruthie doesn't have a very good latch. I thought she did because she just goes right on and goes to town! But her mouth isn't opened wide enough and she's sucking only my nipple... I've tried different positions and tried to get her to open her mouth wider- to no avail.

Any tips there??? Please.... :blush:

Sonic7273 05-04-2011 07:57 PM

I'm in the same boat mama :(

kissum 05-04-2011 07:58 PM

Can you see if her bottom lip is turned under? With both of my kids I had to gently pull that bottom lip out. It greatly improved our latch issues and forces their mouth a bit wider. I hope it improves for you soon.

Sent from my LG-P509 using DS Forum

loving my family 05-04-2011 08:26 PM

Re: my nipples are cracked--- OUCH!

Yeah that:) you can also for healing use Lansinoh Lanolin on your nipples they sell it at Wal-mart & about everywhere else too, it helps a ton & is perfectly safe to use.

Crystalftw 05-04-2011 09:01 PM

http://www.naturalbirthandbabycare.com/latch-on.html

Quote:

The "nipple sandwich" latch-on technique may make latching your baby on easier for you if you are having trouble. Barbara Heiser, a La Leche League Leader, RN, and IBCLC developed the technique.
Hold your breast in the "C" hold. Gently compress your breast between your fingers. This makes your breast tissue flatter - like a sandwich patty ;) Push your hand gently towards your chest wall which will make your nipple protrude farther. Then press your thumb into your tissue a little more firmly, which will make your nipple point slightly upward toward the roof of your baby's mouth.
After making your "sandwich," encourage your baby to open wide and pull him onto the breast using the same steps described above.
nak

keep correcting her latch, i have to correct Elliana's bc she'll get lazy.

hippieintraining 05-04-2011 10:17 PM

My nipples cracked HORRIBLY with DS even though his latch was fine. I cracked a bit days 2-4 with DD but not too badly. Get some nipple cream for immediate relief and ice a bit...

For the latch, the above suggestions are great! If you have a LLL in town, call one of the leaders for 'hands on' help. Or a lactation consultant. I know for me, I can read a lot, but I need the hands on help. My doula didn't leave after DD was born until I was confident with her latch... she was here for an hour and a half before she was born but SEVERAL hours afterwards!!

luvdisney 05-04-2011 11:00 PM

Oh boy...I have been having this issue for weeks (why I am always pumping and giving a bottle--to repair myself) add to that our biggest breast feeding challenge "blanching". I will let you all look that up on your own, it sucks!

It does get better. I have tried everything lotion, nipple shells (so they can dry), going topless, etc. The thing I think that has helped the most is time. Emily is bigger (including her mouth) and stronger now so she can help control her head. I still have to correct her latch, and some times it is still too painful to let her nurse--however we are starting to have some success. We have been to "many" LLL meetings and also have met with a "few" lactation consultants.

If we can get our issues sorted out (and I think we are), trust me you will be fine.

purna079 05-05-2011 03:57 AM

use lansinoh every time. express bmilk , rub on nipples and leave to dry. take advil for the pain, and leave exposed to air as much as possible...dh likes that part :giggle:

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

StaceyS 05-05-2011 06:39 AM

I was having horrible nipple pain all day yesterday, like NO pain I have ever experienced before. I thought it was thrush, but Rebekah's ped said it wasn't. I think maybe I had a clogged duct actually right behind my nipple?? I didn't feel a hard spot or lump, though.

Add that to Rebekah's already shallow/bad latch and where she has caused me some cracks in that same nipple and it was a recipe for DISASTER.

I had to take prescription strength motrin a few times yesterday. I also got in the shower and hand expressed milk from that breast cause there was NO way I was nursing her from that side. I finally got brave and lubed up with some lansinoh and tried. It hurt like CRAZY, but I beared through it somehow.

This morning, it is a bit better, still very tender and achy. The lansinoh made it better enough for me to nurse her a bit from that side, though, without all the tears that were shed last night.

Long story short....lol...I feel your pain and it SUCKS!

You can try a shield. I have read also that baby's nose should be clear from the breast but chin up close to it. Rebekah likes to slurp my nipple into her mouth sometimes instead of opening wide. It hurts to break that latch and try again, but we do. Oh, another thing to make sure of, which I was not totally doing, is make sure baby's belly is turned towards your's. Sounds liek a no brainer but when going through the checklist of proper latch techniques, I found that alot of the time I just had her positioned so her head was turned to the breast and not her whole body.

divergirldee 05-05-2011 07:12 AM

My little guy has a good latch when he wants to, but if he's impatient, he just wants to only open his mouth a little. I do the c hold and squeeze my breast a bit ti flatten the nipple/areola area & he latches right on