Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Is it possible to fit 2 carseats in a Mini Cooper? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1207464)

SenoraE 05-07-2011 12:40 PM

Is it possible to fit 2 carseats in a Mini Cooper?

DH wants a Mini Cooper, he test drove one and loved it. We have a 5 month old who will be rear-facing until age 2, and a 3 year old who is FF. Any chance that we could fit a rear facing and FF carseats in the back? It would not be for daily driving - probably once a week and for emergencies, but I don't want him to buy one if there's no chance of 2 fitting in there. Anyone BTDT? I am NOT a fan of 2 door cars, but DH commutes nearly an hour each way 5 days a week, so I feel like he deserves a car that he likes that is fun for him to drive (ie "sporty" handling and not V6). Thanks for any help!!

ETA - Found this, so it looks like DH will get his wish. :)
http://www.motherproof.com/news-rant...ar-seat-check/

susansabrina 05-07-2011 12:45 PM

Re: Is it possible to fit 2 carseats in a Mini Cooper?

Maybe with a Radian. Good luck!

SenoraE 05-07-2011 12:57 PM

I just did some research and while a Radian is narrow and great for FF, in a little car it doesn't look like it'd be good for RF:

The Radian isn't probably a good choice because it has a recline foot that MUST be used for rear-facing installations, so it pretty much limits you to the 45 degree angle.

KristieW 05-07-2011 01:06 PM

Maybe a new Britax RFing (VERY little front-back room) with a FF Radian next to it? I'm told that combo often puzzles well in that config in small spaces.

yellowitchgrl 05-07-2011 01:07 PM

Take the car seats to the dealership and try it out. I told the guy we weren't buying if we couldn't test it. They're pretty cool with it. Getting a baby into that back seat is going to fuuuuuun though. And not in a good way ;) If he likes it and it won't be often, it shouldn't be a problem (providing they fit)

04liquidS 05-07-2011 01:12 PM

I'm not sure about two seats, but I have had one bucket seat in our Mini Cooper and it was a hassle. I had to install it without the base to get it tight. The way the back seats are shaped made it hard to install. If I recall correctly, I had to slide my seat all the way up in order for the bucket seat to fit behind it (and I'm only 5'4 so I don't know if someone taller would be able to fit, my knees were touching the dash). I'm going to be installing another bucket seat in it soon for our upcoming baby so we shall see how it goes.
Another thing to consider, parts/maintenance for a Mini Cooper is VERY expensive. If I had known this before, we may not have bought ours. It is really fun to drive though.

04liquidS 05-07-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowitchgrl (Post 12890807)
Take the car seats to the dealership and try it out. I told the guy we weren't buying if we couldn't test it. They're pretty cool with it. Getting a baby into that back seat is going to fuuuuuun though. And not in a good way ;) If he likes it and it won't be often, it shouldn't be a problem (providing they fit)

Yup. I had one heck of a time getting my nephew in and out of there. Thankfully we have two cars and the baby will mostly be in my SUV and not the Mini.

USMCgirl_05 05-07-2011 01:49 PM

Can't you get a 4 door Cooper now?

jaelynsmommy61607 05-07-2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USMCgirl_05
Can't you get a 4 door Cooper now?

:yeahthat:

epiclesis 05-07-2011 03:09 PM

There's someone on c-s.org who has posted pics of two seats in a Mini Cooper.