Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   HELP with this diaper rash!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12081)

redheadedangels 06-06-2006 12:01 PM

HELP with this diaper rash!!

Annika has such a horrible rash i just don't know what to do! I'm thinking about calling her doc if it doesn't clear up some by tomorrow morning!

Its gone on for several days now and i just changed her and she has horrible blister looking spots that are now opened and look NASTY!

I think it started with some nasty poopy dipes she has started having and just can't get any better cause the poop is just so NASTY! sorta like diareaha but not really TMI sorry! :blush:

anyways i just put her in a sposie with some more butt paste. I've been using cloth throughout the whole rash thinking it will go away but it hasn't!

I use fleece mostly and i wouldn't think it would be a fleece sensitivity since i've always used it right?? i've tried putting her in wool all day too. I can't let her go coverless cause all i have are prefolds to do that with and she can definitely undo a snappi!

my old babysitter used to always say use cornstarch? in the tub and in the dipe? WDYT? Any ideas? My poor babe is miserable and i don't know what to do :(

dmoselle20 06-06-2006 12:11 PM

Re: HELP with this diaper rash!!

I tell this to everyone that I see post about diaper rash.....

GENTIAN VIOLET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It makes a huge mess.. but it is so worth it. Diaper rash heals up within a few days of treatment! I swear by it. You can use sposies or cheap prefolds so you dont have to worry about the mess. But it is so worth it to clear up the rash!

ChurchPunkMom 06-06-2006 12:11 PM

What does it look like? Is it yeast? Does it bother her to have creams put on it? Is it red and blotchy, pimply, smooth or bumpy?

mamabear 06-06-2006 12:17 PM

I'll be watching the responses on this one...

My Clare has a horrible rash, too! She has maybe 4 bumps that look like blisters (3 on 1 cheek, 1 on the other) and a sunburned-looking area on the top front, like where aplix would be. I have recently started using vinegar in my rinses, and I'm wondering if maybe the vinegar isn't rinsing away enough (?). She ate nearly 1/2 of a watermelon over the past 2 days, so I guess that may be the cause of the runs...:blush: 3yo DS has the runs, too! My poor babies!

Do you happen to use vinegar in your wash/rinse?

Sarah2000 06-06-2006 12:25 PM

It sounds like a yeast infection to me, I have babysat a lot of kids and there was one little girl who got a yeast infection all the time and their doc said to buy some yeast infection cream and put it on there. You could try it out and see if it helps. I did a search a few weeks ago when DD had a horrible rash and there were pictures of different kinds of rashes - you can google it! - This one had a link to click on to see a yeast rash http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081400.asp

theelf 06-06-2006 01:06 PM

Definitely sounds like yeast. That is nasty stuff! Do NOT use cornstarch. It gives the yeast something to feed on and will make it worse! I agree with the pp about Gentian Violet. It was the only thing that cleared up ds. We just used a fleece liner because it is purple. Also, you may want to add some vinegar to your next wash. That helps kill the yeast that is in the diapers themselves.

Kim M.

*bugsmama* 06-06-2006 01:12 PM

I swear by Mustella Stilactive. Payton gets a BAD rash when she is teething. Blisters that break and ooze as well asbleed. it is awful! We use the Mustella at every dipe change and it is usually gone in a day or 2. I have been using CDs with fleece liners so the cream doesn't get on my FBs (and it has washed completly out of the liners). You can get it at BRU, it's kinda pricey but cheaper than going to the ped. GL!

mamabear 06-07-2006 01:41 PM

Oh, man!

Now ours DEFINITELY looks like yeast! Poor, dolly! Reading what a pp said, I'll continue with my vinegar... :lostit:

Off to the health food store... :thumbsup:

Is Annika's rash getting any better?

jedibunni 06-07-2006 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmoselle20
I tell this to everyone that I see post about diaper rash.....

GENTIAN VIOLET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It makes a huge mess.. but it is so worth it. Diaper rash heals up within a few days of treatment! I swear by it. You can use sposies or cheap prefolds so you dont have to worry about the mess. But it is so worth it to clear up the rash!

Ooooo, I've heard of this and how wonderful it works! I would second this!!!

:hugs: Hope it gets better...

Malka 06-07-2006 03:17 PM

I have to second/third/fourth the yeast possibility. Dd had a lot of yeast rashes last year. Sometimes we used prescription Nystatin 4 times a day and butt paste at every change. The other times we used a few drops of Tea Tree Oil mixed in an ounce or two of olive oil, applied at every change. One time even after a week of Nystatin and using up the entire tube,the rash didn't look great (apparently normal according to the pediatrician). The key was to keep treating for about a week after it went away. Otherwise it would come right back again and again.

Malka