Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Anyone gone into labor without many signs it was coming? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1211214)

justineybean 05-14-2011 07:41 AM

Anyone gone into labor without many signs it was coming?

This is baby #2 for me and I was due May 11th. With DS I didn't go into labor or have any real signs of labor until the day before my induction was scheduled and only after my membranes were stripped. Then it was sort of too late. I was 12 days past my due date.

This time, I have had an increase in contractions, some pretty uncomfortable but not overly painful, and not at all regular. I have also felt some cramping and had some unexplained indigestion.

My question... has anyone had practically no signs of labor and then all of sudden started having regular contractions, bloody show, had your water break, etc. and then had your baby? I am trying to be hopeful but it's hard not to think this baby is not going to come on his or her own by 42 weeks and I'm going to get a medical induction again.

I've been seeing a chiropractor and hope that will help... sigh.

jeebee 05-14-2011 08:47 AM

Re: Anyone gone into labor without many signs it was coming?

Yes. Both times for me I've had no real signs, and then had the baby the next day.

DD1: Had membranes stripped, zero signs of labour, went to bed at 11:30pm, woke up at 12:30 with painful contractions 2-3 minutes apart, born 5.5 hours later. 40+2.

DD2: Woke up with a few cramps and bloody show, so got my bags packed. Contractions started around 2:30pm, had her 6 hours later. 39+0.

But in both cases prior to labor I really had no signs that anything was happening. When I had my membranes done I was 3cm dilated though (my first cervical exam) and the midwife said she was pretty sure i would go into labour soon so I was expecting it to happen. With DD2 I had no exams because i wasn't overdue but at 36 weeks had an ultrasound to check on low-lying placenta, and she told me my cervix was very short, so I probably would have her a little early rather than late.

Have you considered getting your membranes stripped again? For me it's really one of those things you do when you are a little overdue already, I wouldn't do it early, but I think if your body just needs a little push it can work.

justineybean 05-14-2011 09:25 AM

Jen - Thanks for sharing your experience with me!! :) That is really encouraging! I go for a 41 week appointment on Wednesday for the NST/BPP and was thinking of asking them to strip my membranes then instead of waiting until the day before I am going to be induced anyway, like last time. I have had one cervical check at 36 weeks when I had GBS test and I was 1cm, cervix still long/thick... so basically no progress to that point.

Thanks again!

ds1997 05-14-2011 12:11 PM

Yes, both times. With my first, I actually felt great. I rolled over in bed and heard a pop. Contractions didn't start for a few hours and baby was here a few more hours later. With my second, a contraction woke me out of a sound sleep. They started coming regularly and she was born a few hours later. I felt great before having her too. Who knows what will happen this time. I have been having a lot more BH, cramps and just being uncomfortable. We'll see soon enough.

Good luck!! Hope things get moving for you!!

Fishie Kisses 05-14-2011 12:15 PM

I was induced with my first. But with my second there was NO indication he was coming any time soon. I was already 41+1. Got out of bed and my water gushed

AnimalHouse 05-14-2011 12:34 PM

With DS2, I had no indictations that he would be coming, before actually going into labor. I saw my midwife at 39 weeks, and she did an exam - I was dilated to a 3, and had been since 36 weeks, so no big deal there. I hadn't had any contractions at all, other than Braxton Hicks, and those had actually stopped around the 34-35 week mark.

I got my first contraction around 4pm when I was 39 weeks+2 days along, and DS2 was born the next morning, at 1:51am. I never had any contractions before that, or had the bloody show. Both the midwife and I actually expected him to come "late".

misskira 05-14-2011 12:42 PM

Me! On my due date, was barely a fingertip dilated, didn't lose mucous plug or anything and baby wasn't engaged. Just started having contractions in the middle of the night!

Leanbh 05-14-2011 01:01 PM

I'm similar to pp. Nothing much exciting. Never dilated much past 1cm. Woke up at 3am with contractions with all 3 kids and then had them that day. I did lose the mucous plug with all 3, week or two before, but I know many don't or don't notice.

Ds#1 I had contractions a week before but was false labor

Ds#3 Membranes stripped and did feel contractions that night(10pm) but really didn't start until the 3am and I knew they were for real.

Honestly I know of friends who were 3cm dilated for weeks and meant nothing and one never even dilated fully(c/s) and then I was barely a 1cm with all 3 and labor begins as it should.

I also walked and cleaned like a crazy person(scubbed floors, bathroom tile) the day of membrane stripping to "help" get it going if possible.

Good Luck! I hope little babes is ready to come out really soon for you!

Leanbh 05-14-2011 01:04 PM

Oh...and my water has never broken(by itself) with any of them! In fact if it does with this one I would be a little terrified as last time when ob broke my water I went from 3cm to 10cm in an hour. I now of visions of my water breaking while out and freaking out saying...." get me to the hospital, NOW!!!!"

adavieau 05-14-2011 01:19 PM

With my dd I felt kind of yucky (uncomfortable mildly nauseated) one night and the next out of the blue my water broke (no contractions no bloody show nada unitl after that point). With my second I just started with contractions one morning and progressed from there (water broke a few hours later along with bloody show and contrax got worse) I had nothing previous to that and no idea it was coming.