Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What do I need for my hospital bag? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1211416)

mama2cntrykids 05-14-2011 03:15 PM

What do I need for my hospital bag?

For the life of me, I can't think of much. I'm 37w5d, so I really should at least *start* it.

Here's what I have:

Something for the baby and I to wear home
Hairbrush/toothpaste and toothbrush/contact lens stuff
Camera and extra batteries
Receiving blanket for baby

That's all I have. HELP!

justineybean 05-14-2011 03:26 PM

Re: What do I need for my hospital bag?

A baby book if you want to get footprints in it. :)

sugar_crystalz 05-14-2011 03:34 PM

Clothes for at the hospital if you don't want to sit around in the hospital gown all day.
Snacks
Pillow
Anything hubby wants/ needs
Movies

CntryMama 05-14-2011 03:36 PM

This is a great thread!!! I have been trying to pack all day... I love the idea of baby book for prints - I would have missed that :)

My sister told me lots of normal underwear :giggle:

saxychic247 05-14-2011 03:36 PM

Your own pilow... Hospital ones are pretty sucky.
Slippers/Comfy socks
Nursing bra/top
Nursing pads
Your own favorite kind of maxi pads (hospital ones are circa 1984 and like wearing diapers)
Shampoo/Conditioner/Body Wash
Deodorant
Flip Flops (My feet got SUPER puffy after I had the baby and my shoes wouldn't fit)
One or two reusable shopping bags to carry all of your hospital loot
Comfy pajamas for you to lounge in unless you really dig the hospital robes
Old "ratty" underwear that you can just toss if/when they get gnarly from all of the "stuff" that comes out after you have the baby...

hope that's helpful. Those are some of the things in my hospital bag. :)

MommaKatie 05-14-2011 03:48 PM

A must for me was Burts Bees Lip Balm while I was in labor. DH kept it in his pocket while I was in labor, so it was always close at hand!

loving my family 05-14-2011 04:33 PM

Bath soap & shampoo.
CD player with CD's
Q tips can't think of any thing else that they didn't mention up top :)

Truckerswife 05-14-2011 06:38 PM

definitely bring your own pillow hospital pillows suck big time and several pairs of socks slipper socks are great if you like hot tea bring your own bags my hospital only has lemon tea

Leanbh 05-14-2011 08:01 PM

Definately slipper socks.....my #1 must, you can just pop them on and be done instead of the putting on slippers on and off all day. A few pairs too. Flip flops for the bathroom are nice too.

Great suggestions. I also like to pick up a cheap robe, not too hot, now would be a great time to get one at walmart for when you get visitors. In fact I'm wearing my last one I got right now:blush:

I might be shallow but I say MAKE UP! The pics from DS#1, I looked so awful, pale and sick in every pic and felt it too. With DS#2 I had my make up and a great big black headband and felt a zillion times better. Pics looked great too except for tatty gown, oh well.....

Lanolin if BF, seems my hospital don't give it out anymore as one person had a reaction:banghead:

Snacks, granola bars, have visitors bring you fresh fruit. Sometimes you get hungry at odd times. I remember dinner would be at 6pm, dessert tray at 7pm, but then you could be up and starving at 10pm etc. I LOVE my hospitals food I have to say! I'm not a big eater normally, but for some reason I would take out the whole tray.

2 outfits for baby, just in case little stinker has an accident as you are getting ready to leave, sometimes you are waiting a while to be officially discharged too.

Personally I like to rest as much as I can so maybe a magazine, but no computer, ipod etc, just little tv and baby time and sleep to get ready for at home craziness.

Can't wait to read other idea's.

Basilsmommy 05-14-2011 08:15 PM

I definitely suggest the snacks. I didn't have that idea and I wish I had. My hospitals food was AWFUL! Plus I was laboring for so long and not allowed food so by the time I had him and was starving, they forgot to bring me my breakfast tray. I also had my mom run home and get pillows bc the hospital ones are also bad.
I also agree with the underwear and pads. I was told by a couple of friends that the stuff they give you in the hospital is awesome but I totally disagree. I couldn't wait to get home and put my own stuff on. Big maxi pads and mesh underwear are not my style!