Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Is my birth plan ok? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1211465)

mama2cntrykids 05-14-2011 06:37 PM

Is my birth plan ok?

I'm having a hard time getting my head straight with this pregnancy. Can you look over my birth plan and tell me how it looks?

Regarding labor and birth -
Due Date: 05/30/2011
Patient of Dr.

05/13/2011

Dear Dr. and Nursing Staff~
Here is my birth plan. I thank you for taking the time to look it over and for supporting me in the best way that you can. I hope that we can work together to make this a wonderful experience.

Labor
I wish to be able to move around and change position at will throughout labor.
I would like to be able to have fluids by mouth throughout the first stage of labor.
I would prefer to keep the number of vaginal exams to a minimum.
I hope to avoid routine procedures (e.g., prep, enema)
I would like to avoid an IV if at all possible, but may be open to a heparin lock as long as it allows me to be mobile.
. I would like a birth ball available to me, if the hospital has one, as an option for laboring.
I wish to have the lights low if possible and as few people in the room as possible during my laboring as its distressing to me while in labor.
Monitoring
I do not wish to have continuous fetal monitoring unless it is required by the condition of my daughter. I will however be ok with intermittent external monitoring as nessary.
Labor Augmentation/Induction
I do not wish to have the amniotic membrane ruptured artificially unless signs of fetal distress require internal monitoring.
I would prefer to be allowed to try changing position
Anesthesia
I would like to try to labor without pain medication, but I am open to them if the pain gets to be too much for me.
Cesarean
I would like my husband present at all times if my daughter requires a Cesarean delivery. After the delivery, Id like him to be able to stay with her.
I wish to have an epidural for anesthesia. Please make sure it took however. Ive had an epidural not work for me in the past even though it was tried three times.
If my daughter is not in distress, my daughter should be given to my husband immediately after birth. I would also like to be able to touch her if unable to hold her. I would like pictures to be taken immediately afterward as well.
Episiotomy
I would prefer not to have an episiotomy unless absolutely required for the baby's safety.
Delivery
I prefer the best possible position for pushing and that my legs be supported and the nurses help me concentrate on pushing during contractions.
Even if I am fully dilated, and assuming my daughter is not in distress, I would like to try to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase.
I would like to have my daughter placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery for skin-to-skin contact.
After Delivery
I would like my husband to be able to cut the cord after its done pulsating.
I would like my baby to be delivered onto my stomach for skin-to-skin contact.
I would also like for the bathing/weighing/measuring to be held-off for a half hour or so, if possible, while I hold the baby and try to nurse her.
I would like to have my daughter examined and bathed in our room when its time for that.
If my daughter must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, my husband or some other person I designate will accompany my daughter at all times.
I would like a private room if available.
After the birth, I would prefer to be given a few moments of privacy to urinate on my own before being catheterized.
I would greatly prefer that my daughter and I room-in during the hospital stay.
Dr. Vroman and I have discussed a short hospital stay (24 hrs), if the labor/delivery goes well. Please check with Dr. Vroman to see if that is still a go.
Breastfeeding
I will be nursing my baby exclusively and respectively request that she not be given formula, bottles of any kind (including glucose water or plain water), nor any pacifiers.
Photos
I would like my husband to take pictures of the baby after birth (and during if possible).

We thank you for taking the time to go over this Birth Plan, and appreciate your cooperation in making this a smooth transition for us and the newest addition to our family.

Kind of hard to read. Sorry about that, it didn't copy over well. Thoughts?

mgl 05-14-2011 06:57 PM

Re: Is my birth plan ok?

My one peice of advice would be to okay the short stay with the pedi as well. If you have that taken care of ahead of time, there will be less stress. As a nurse on a mother/baby unit, I have to do what the drs say, so by having both your dr and baby's dr okay the early release it should go smoothly.

justineybean 05-14-2011 07:56 PM

I think it sounds great!! :) One thing I was going to suggest that I put in my own birth plan is that I prefer to not be offered medication and that I will request it if I want it. With my first birth, one of the nurses kept offering me an epidural and asking why I didn't want it and that was distracting and unsupportive. Good luck to you mama!

mama2cntrykids 05-14-2011 08:52 PM

mgl-Yes, I've ok'd it with my Dr. assuming everything goes smoothly.

justineybean-that nurse sounds like a pain!

Thanks for your thoughts!