Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Testing the WAHM Waters (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   How do you promote your business? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1213077)

snugsboutique 05-17-2011 01:52 PM

How do you promote your business?

I feel like I'm running out of ideas. Any mamas have creative promoting ideas that increases traffic you your site or shop?

ARogers 05-17-2011 02:15 PM

Re: How do you promote your business?

I've seen mamas on here host giveaways by having people bump their WAHM thread. Then they pick a random post number and that person wins the giveaway.

Crow Mountain Crafts 05-17-2011 02:29 PM

Umm.. join a congo on HC, have prizes and promotions on facebook, get Dibs! to review your product. :)

eapoosmama 05-25-2011 01:56 PM

Honestly, if you want a good solid following for a long time to come place a personal focus on your customers. It "can" be preceived that if you are doing give aways that your product is crap. There is old school and there is new school. Have you noticed all the bloggers who have children 4 and under and they did not start wearing diapers on their children until two years ago, yet they are experts and have all the answers. I feel it sets the stage for a lot of unreliable feedback and makes it even more confusing for those trying to enter into the cloth diapering communities and routines. You can get a quick return of short term fizzle out customers who only want your freebies or you can build a solid clietel from marketing a reputable product back up by honest purchased feedback.

Consumer report pays for the products they review. I don't give my products to any bloggers or draw business from giving things away. I will give them a product if they are not using it themselves but the feedback must come from a third and unbias party only. Usually I don't hear from those who have solicited me for free product because their blogs are geared towards self ego and self fullfillment of getting free stuff. People who follow the words of such bloggers imo are foolish.

If I am going to have someone drop money on my artisan fine craft I want it to be for the quality of product I bring forth not based upon the empty feedback from an excited freebie winner.

Food for thought, how do you want to develop your business? Its your choice, I am just offering the other side of things that many don't or won't post about, but yet they talk about it in other places.

I don't have anything else to offer other than banner placement and having a facebook page and website for people to refer too. Many things have changed here since I was here years ago, how people approach marketing a business has also changed and I am no longer a souce of info here, only observations and thought.

rdefined 05-26-2011 11:42 AM

I think it's all about getting the word out. You have to get people to use your product and give feedback. Most WAHM products and sold by word of mouth, that's one of the great things about our community. I partially agree with PP but from a marketing stand point MOST big business give out samples. For instance, GroVia is doing a test group right now. i paid $3.50+shipping for a secret product from a brand I might not have tried had it not been a good deal that was hard to pass up. They're sending a feedback form too. This is a win win because they get feedback but when they release the product all those moms who were testers will be able to encourage other mamas to buy that product.

As far as promoting your product, look for local boutiques, Farmer's markets, advertise for free on craigstlist, etc. It's also good to give incentives to people who give referrals.

Chickadee & Me 06-08-2011 09:09 AM

I like your thinking! I find myself being irritated by the fact that I am almost expected to do constant giveaways. Shouldn't it be good enough to provide a quality product? I usually only do a giveaway on my facebook page every few months because it does get people's attention but I agree that most of them are probably not quality customers - just someone out for a freebie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eapoosmama (Post 13010172)
Honestly, if you want a good solid following for a long time to come place a personal focus on your customers. It "can" be preceived that if you are doing give aways that your product is crap. There is old school and there is new school. Have you noticed all the bloggers who have children 4 and under and they did not start wearing diapers on their children until two years ago, yet they are experts and have all the answers. I feel it sets the stage for a lot of unreliable feedback and makes it even more confusing for those trying to enter into the cloth diapering communities and routines. You can get a quick return of short term fizzle out customers who only want your freebies or you can build a solid clietel from marketing a reputable product back up by honest purchased feedback.

Consumer report pays for the products they review. I don't give my products to any bloggers or draw business from giving things away. I will give them a product if they are not using it themselves but the feedback must come from a third and unbias party only. Usually I don't hear from those who have solicited me for free product because their blogs are geared towards self ego and self fullfillment of getting free stuff. People who follow the words of such bloggers imo are foolish.

If I am going to have someone drop money on my artisan fine craft I want it to be for the quality of product I bring forth not based upon the empty feedback from an excited freebie winner.

Food for thought, how do you want to develop your business? Its your choice, I am just offering the other side of things that many don't or won't post about, but yet they talk about it in other places.

I don't have anything else to offer other than banner placement and having a facebook page and website for people to refer too. Many things have changed here since I was here years ago, how people approach marketing a business has also changed and I am no longer a souce of info here, only observations and thought.

SugarBooger 07-02-2011 09:49 AM

I would just like to offer the other side of the debate, from a consumer, blog owner, and etsy shop owner.

I enter giveaways from time to time. I'm not out for hoarding all the freebies I can get. I only enter giveaways for products and WAHMs that I'm actually interested in. I do it because we live on a tight budget, and getting something for free that we could use or something fun that we want is considered a huge blessing to us. If I don't win the giveaway (which is pretty much all the time) I never just drop the WAHM. I enjoy seeing their updates on my Facebook and keeping up to date with their products and promotions, and I keep them on my list of WAHMs I will purchase from, from time to time when we have extra money in our budget. I am very selective in the giveaways I enter, but if I hear about a good one that I'm interested in, I'm very thankful for the WAHM to be offering something they worked hard to make for free, and I'm very glad to learn about a new WAHM that I can purchase from in the future. I try to buy baby items from WAHMs to help them out instead of going to Babies R Us or somewhere. I recently purchased a shopping cart cover that I needed from a wonderful WAHM instead of just going over to BRU, and I was very pleased with the quality and the price.

Now I'm on the other side of the giveaway world -- the blogging side. I've been blogging for years, but DH recently started encouraging me to get my blog "out there," because he likes it and thinks others will like it too, and we are hoping that some day it could help loosen up our very tight budget. Writing is something I'm good at, just like making diapers is something some WAHMs are good at, and so just like those WAHMs, I'm trying to make a little chump change from it to help loosen up the budget. I'm not trying to selfishly get things for free to "review." I'm not a review/giveaway only blog. I have never asked for a freebie from a WAHM I'm going to review (though some have offered) and if anything, I would prefer to buy the product when I can afford to and review it that way. I have asked WAHMs if they wanted to sponsor a giveaway to help me get my numbers up and to help them get the word out about their product, but I'm not trying to selfishly get anything free for myself out of it, I'm just trying to help promote the WAHMs I love and promote my blog.

I am slowly but surely stocking my Etsy, and when it's ready to launch, I plan on doing at least one giveaway just to get the word out about my new shop. I think that's what giveaways are for. They help rapidly spread the word about your products. I think that the most important thing a shop owner can do is provide a quality product, and excellent customer support. But I think that giveaways and other promotions can help spread the word. If it weren't for DS and Facebook and giveaway blogs, I wouldn't have known about all the wonderful WAHMs that I have purchased from and plan to purchase from in the future.

So, all that to say: not all of us are selfish and just out for personal gain. I know just what it's like to be a mom and try to help support the family, and I try my best to support the other moms that are out there doing the same thing. :goodvibes:

smilewithme 07-02-2011 01:06 PM

I have heard that a lot of people are drawn to ffs facebook giveaways, and think fb is a great marketing tool. Using banners ALWAYS makes me look at a shop, and I would recommend that for sure. I have seen advertisements from mama's that offer design and set up for less then $40. It should be worth it!

SillyEllie 07-05-2011 10:49 PM

I was actually going to ask the same thing. I have an fb page but really the only people that are fans are people who I'm personally friends with. I only have like 58 fans and a friend of mine has over 600! I'm like, wow, who did you do that!?

TwoDarlings 07-05-2011 11:37 PM

Well if I can add my two cents...I am a cloth diaper retailer and I own an SEO and social media consulting firm. From the retailer side of things, absolutely use caution when considering a giveaway. I make sure to know their traffic for their blog, FB fans, and Twitter followers. I need to know the size of my potential audience to decide if ROI would be worth it. My shop has a little over 900 fans on FB and I've been open less than three months. I've seen my website traffic rise in direct correlation to gaining new FB fans. That has been in huge part due to joint ventures with other businesses on FB and sponsoring giveaways on blogs. Also, a tip on FB giveaways...don't giveaway your product on your page (at least not often). Sponsor the giveaway on another businesses page, that way you gain their promotion and their fans to your page and it increases your ROI. I personally only sponsor giveaways for FB businesses that have a minimum of 1000 fans. You have to figure out what makes it worth it to you.

Now as for what can be done to increase traffic:

Create your own blog (having a blog on your website has been shown to increase site traffic by 55%)

Write how-to articles and submit to online magazines and as a guest blogger, ALWAYS with a link back to your site (if you're into seo, make sure to use keywords as your hyperlink)

Create how-to or informational videos and post on social media (offering good content for free to potential customers increases likelihood of sharing with their friends, thereby increasing your traffic and getting your name out there) You don't need fancy equipment either. I've made videos using my cell phone.

If you're on FB, join networking groups- Promote my Fan Page, Toot Your Own Horn, WAHM Connect, Mompreneurs, and many more. They usually have "trains" and visit a group of fan pages and "like" them. They also randomly do shout outs and encourage their fans to visit your page.

Ask for help! It seems simple, but ask your current customers to share/review your business on their websites, blogs, social media venue! Most times they are happy to do so.

Run a contest for current customers. Ex: Have a modeling contest and feature the winning baby on your site, post album of entrants. They will share with fam and friends and create some excitement around your business. And you're not giving away anything for free.

And back to social media....is your business on FB, Twitter, etc.?? If so, are you utilizing that correctly? People don't buy from companies, they buy from people. Are you interacting with your customers on there? Do you just post about sales and new product? That's a no-no. Social media is for building relationships, so make sure you're participating in conversations on there.

Ultimately, you want to make more money right? It's easier to get a former customer to buy something then get a new customer to buy something. Not that you shouldn't try to get new customers, but don't neglect former/current customers. If there's anything you can do to keep a friendly relationship with them, do it. I often send my customers hand written thank you cards a couple weeks after their last purchase along with a discount code. If I have samples I can spare, I ship them out as a surprise to current customers. Even just send follow up emails to see how they're liking their product(s) and if you can help with anything.

HTH a little!