Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   DS getting ear tubes tomorrow at 10 am - NPO after midnight?! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1213809)

CamilikinsMama 05-18-2011 06:54 PM

DS getting ear tubes tomorrow at 10 am - NPO after midnight?!

DS saw the ENT this afternoon. He's had lots of ear infections, and after hearing we're going on vacation next week the ENT wanted to get him scheduled for tubes ASAP. Which means tomorrow morning. Yikes!

Anyway, he's scheduled to have the procedure at 10 am. The nurse said he can't have anything to eat or drink after midnight. Really? 10 hours before the procedure?

I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me the guidelines they've been given for something similar. He normally nurses several times at night so it's going to be tough no matter what. The nurse said that if he does need something he can have water or apple juice before 3 am. But a friend of mine whose son had major surgery was told he could have clear liquids until 3 or 4 hours prior to surgery.

I'd love some input (and advice for how to handle a baby who wants to nurse but isn't allowed to!). Thanks!

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 05-18-2011 06:58 PM

Re: DS getting ear tubes tomorrow at 10 am - NPO after midnight?!

my dd was on npo orders quite often while in treatment years ago and they want an empty belly because the child will be put under anesthesia and it isn't safe if they have anything in there as they could vomit and choke on it while under. I know we also were told clear water is ok, just not too much. Goodluck at the appt tomorrow:hugs:

kimb96 05-18-2011 06:59 PM

I'm a nurse. The guidelines are for the anesthesia. It can and often does cause nausea and vomiting. You need the stomach to be empty. It will be a rough night but it's only one night.

CamilikinsMama 05-18-2011 07:16 PM

Thanks!

Yeah, I understand WHY, but what I don't understand is why one doctor/nurse would say 10 hours and another would say 4 hours?

I know it's just one night. And am relieved about that :) And hopeful that once the tubes are placed he'll be sleeping better finally!

aprilbeanxo 05-18-2011 07:34 PM

yeah,we were told nothing after midnight either,not even water!good luck,it was tough but we got through it!

jessesgirl 05-18-2011 10:40 PM

If they do have stuff on their tummies, they can get really sick off the anesthesia. DS and DD did okay, even for as long as they waited. DD who is 7 months old, didn't eat until we got home the other day (which was around 2 because brother had surgery, too). Once you get there and checked in, they give the kiddos some "goofy juice" that makes them forget all about their empty tummies and in recovery, they can have clear fluids (popsicles, etc). DD's tummy was really, really torn up the remainder of the day from her anestheisa.

Back in Dec, DS had tubes, tonsils and adenoids done. It was a couple of days before he ate, but again, he had no liquids after midnight and then he had clear coming out of recovery. He still threw up and peed on himself. I can't imagine how it would have been if he'd eaten after midnight.

Selene 05-18-2011 11:32 PM

When DS had hernia surgery at 5 months we were initially told NPO after midnight (his surgery was scheduled for 7 am) by the nurse. But later the doctor said breastmilk was ok up to 4 hours prior to surgery because it is digested so quickly and it doesn't pose the same aspiration risk as solid food.

We kept DS up late the night before and fed him a lot prior to the cut-off time and used his paci after that. It actually went better than expected, I couldn't believe he wasn't totally angry about not nursing! I hope it goes ok for you and your LO. GL!

whirlwindwoman 05-19-2011 03:10 AM

Hope it goes well for you! Tubes made a world of difference for my son.

With my son, they told me that they needed to intubate him for the procedure (I was hoping for a LMA, but that's an RT thing...). The procedure only took about 10 or 15 minutes. People can vomit if they have something in their stomache when they get intubated. An aspiration pneumonia is much more difficult to recover from than just the tubes.

CamilikinsMama 05-19-2011 06:44 AM

Well we suvived the night. Barely. I did nurse him when h woke just before 1 bu only for a couple minutes. But when he woke just before 4 he pretty much couldn't get comfortable enough to go back to sleep. DH got up with him around 5:30 and ended up driving him around for a while so he could sleep. Now that he's had more sleep he seems totally fine :) I will let you know how it goes later. Thanks everyone!