Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Terrible twos (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1213851)

steph410 05-18-2011 08:12 PM

Terrible twos

my son is about 2 1/2 and he used to be the sweetest and most easy going little guy. but a few days ago he seemed to totally change- wanting to do everything himself, throwing tantrums if he is told "no", and being ultra sensitive if things don't go his way.

if your little 2 year old has gone through this, did you find that it helped to spend more one on one time with him/her or just shower him/her with more attention? i'm wondering if he is feeling insecure for some reason or it's just his developmental age. thanks!

twinmomstl 05-18-2011 08:24 PM

Re: Terrible twos

Neither.... Let him do as much as possible for himself. Give him choices on everything. He wants to be separate from you. He wants autonomy and independence - think teenager. Let him come to you when he wants attention. I'm not saying ignore him but just give him some time to learn to do stuff for himself.

LittleClaraLove 05-18-2011 08:26 PM

Completely normal developmental stage. While it does suck, and not every kid goes through it, it is normal. As infants the whole world really does revolve around each of our kids-- their needs are met the instant they arise. Around 2 the world rapidly changes as they can do so much themselves so we stop doing it for them. He'll adjust just fine. I promise he'll be ok.

susansabrina 05-18-2011 08:36 PM

My ds just started this at 2.5yo too. Suddenly he decided he is his own little man now.

steph410 05-18-2011 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by susansabrina (Post 12967377)
Suddenly he decided he is his own little man now.

:giggle:

yankeesundbound 05-18-2011 08:56 PM

Sounds just like my "tiny tyrant" as I call her. I think it's adorable when she's trying to do things all by her little self :giggle:

SavageMamma 05-18-2011 09:05 PM

Oh I'm in the same boat with my lil devious diva! She was 2 in March and OMG does she have attitude!!!
She has been getting more "jealous" of her lil bro (which she NEVER was before)and will push him or if he goes to play with something, will run to grab from him. When I catch
her I give her a warning that she'll go in time out if she does it again, and I get "No time out, time out GONE" :dramatic:
She is so witty and smart that it's hard to discipline, and hard to stay mad :giggle:
I need help too!!!

danielle 05-19-2011 09:52 AM

I'm almost out the other side and onto something else.

One thing I found that helps is I ask if my daughter would like help as opposed to just jumping in and doing for her. Sometimes she'll say yes she needs help and sometimes she'll forge ahead on her own. It's amazing what a complex little person she is. I give her as many choices as possible, and I often tell her that she doesn't have to do ______ if she doesn't want to.

I do have rules though. Just today she told me she wanted to go outside. I told her that that meant getting dressed. She didn't want to get dressed. I told her then that she didn't have to get dressed right away, but she couldn't go outside naked. She knows this already of course, but she likes to be sure of her boundaries and checks them pretty often. Doesn't bother me, I've developed a patience for being consistent for her.

Sleep deprived 05-19-2011 12:26 PM

Yeah, it's the age.

DH hates for DS to feed himself anything messy, like yogurt or soup. DS resents Daddy helping. Personally, I find wiping up accidental yogurt spills, while not entirely enjoyable, distinctly preferably to a pitched battle about who is going to hold the spoon. I just put one of those sleeved bibs on him and resign myself to the inevitable. (I also think it's a little silly that DH insists on hand-feeding a two-and-a-half year old, but that is neither here nor there.)

And of course with me DS wants to fight about clothes. I let him pick once and change his mind once, and then I pick. I also only let him pick one thing - usually shirt - because it bugs me when he's out and about looking like he was dressed by a colorblind circus clown.