Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   constipated toddler - what juice should I get? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121387)

snugglebutter 03-29-2007 08:43 AM

constipated toddler - what juice should I get?

I don't normally give dd (16mo) juice but she is constipated and uncomfortable so I would like to try something. We are headed out to the store in a bit......

She didn't eat anything unusual yesterday so I am not sure what the trouble is - she even had a ton of cut up white grapes, which usually keep her regular lol.

Thanks!

Lisa-Rachelle 03-29-2007 08:45 AM

Re: constipated toddler - what juice should I get?

Prune juice would be good. And if you WARM the juice first, that will probably help even more. Warm prune juice is what they use in the Hospitals as a natural laxative.

I've also heard pear juice...but I don't know how well that works. What about just pears themselves? Pears are fiber-rich, and there are some pretty tasty looking ones in the markets right now.

susnrob 03-29-2007 08:45 AM

I had a pediatrician tell me that any juice that starts with a "P" will help with the "Poo"! LOL. It's funny and I'll never forget it. Peach, Pear & Prune are the best. Apple will cause gas. Not too sure about white grape. I would probably try the Peach or Pear. My boys like both of those. They won't drink Prune. Just dilute with some water. She told me that water is really good too.

snugglebutter 03-29-2007 10:11 AM

Thanks so much! I got organic pear juice and diluted it with water. DD very happily devoured it!

susnrob 03-29-2007 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snugglebutter (Post 890401)
Thanks so much! I got organic pear juice and diluted it with water. DD very happily devoured it!

Glad to hear that. Hope she feels better soon!

Muddypaws 03-29-2007 01:01 PM

Yep ~ the p fruits are great!
My dd is chronically constipated and we have always had the very best of luck with flax oil. If you give too much, your problem will still be solved, if YKWIM! You can give a couple tablespoons to start and it should help overnight plus it is super good for you anyway! It is icky tasting but can be hidden in a shake etc.

L

Floridamommy 03-29-2007 03:06 PM

I feel your pain. My DD who is 16 months is going through the same exact problem. She will not touch the prune juice, but I can get her to eat cut up prunes like they are going out of style (go figure :headscratch: ). I have also been sprinkling flax seed meal that I got at the regular Publix grocery store on her foods too.

Good luck...it is so hard to watch my DD when she is in constipation pain.