Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Testing the WAHM Waters (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Any teachers/tutors/in-home babysitters have advice? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1214394)

maeus 05-19-2011 08:24 PM

Any teachers/tutors/in-home babysitters have advice?

DH wants me to find a job. :( I have a degree/experience teaching grades K-8 and reading intervention, but I would like to be able to stay home with my little ones, the youngest arriving in September.

I would LOVE tips/advice/warnings from mamas who either tutor, teach, or babysit out of their homes to make extra money. How did you go about finding families? How much do you charge? What legal issues do I need to be aware of? In general...HELP! I REALLY do not want to be teaching full time this fall if I don't have to. I just hate the thought of missing out on my babies growing up and being in childcare even part time. :(

Fleece Be With You 05-19-2011 10:31 PM

Re: Any teachers/tutors/in-home babysitters have advice?

Try Care.com, I am a nanny and have found some great people on that site, I am starting work for one of them next week. They have a section for tutors as well. Good luck, it's hard to go back to work! If your home is suitable to doing home childcare, you may want to consider that option as well. I charge a bit less than the "going rate" for a nanny, since I do bring my son with me. You'll have to do some research to figure out how much that is in your area. As far as taxes are concerned, they'll have to file as your employer if you're in their home, and they'll have to fill out some paperwork and figure out withholding and all that, just like for any other job.

maeus 05-19-2011 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleece Be With You (Post 12974667)
Try Care.com, I am a nanny and have found some great people on that site, I am starting work for one of them next week. They have a section for tutors as well. Good luck, it's hard to go back to work! If your home is suitable to doing home childcare, you may want to consider that option as well. I charge a bit less than the "going rate" for a nanny, since I do bring my son with me. You'll have to do some research to figure out how much that is in your area. As far as taxes are concerned, they'll have to file as your employer if you're in their home, and they'll have to fill out some paperwork and figure out withholding and all that, just like for any other job.

Thank you! I've heard of that site, so I'll have to check it out.

DiaperPalz 05-19-2011 10:58 PM

what about offering your services to local homeschoolers for reading help/intervention or testing services etc? When I was homeschooler there were certain test that could ony be administered by a certified teacher so my mom ended up paying a teacher that we knew through someone to give them to me.

poopstermomma 05-24-2011 02:35 PM

I tutored like crazy two years ago. I asked all my teacher friends to send home a flyer I made (extolling my experience with end of year testing material) and got more work than I could handle! I tutored 3 kids at a time, 1 hour/2x week at $20 per session. So, for one hour I made $60... I scheduled it right after school in one of my friend's classrooms.
Then I moved to the library to do evening tutoring because all of my 330-430 slots booked. It was GREAT! I offered homework help, multiplication madness, and EOG prep. you could offer reading help, too- tho I prefer to do reading help 3x/week.

Teachers loved it because they had someone reliable to refer parents to, parents loved it, and I made a TON of money! :) That said, you will still need some form of childcare while you tutor-- you simply cannot rely on your kids behaving themselves while you work with other children. trust me. :giggle: Depending on your kid's ages, maybe they could go home with a friend afterschool, or you could tutor while they napped over the summer, etc.
:)