Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Acronym really bothering me (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1214926)

Mamma527 05-20-2011 09:00 PM

Acronym really bothering me

Ok so I heard the acronym FTM Full Time Mom the other day for the first time. It has really been bothering me. Aren't we all full time moms. Just because I go to work doesn't mean I stop being a mom. When their kids go to school are they no longer a FTM since they aren't with their kids all day?

I'm usually very laid back and things like this don't usually bother me, but this one really got under my skin. Thanks for letting me vent.

3MonkeysMomma 05-20-2011 09:16 PM

Re: Acronym really bothering me

I've always seen it mean First Time Mom. I agree Full Time Mom is a little much!

carriek38 05-20-2011 09:19 PM

I hovered really quick & I thought you were talking about transgendered people...Female To Male :giggle:.

Mamma527 05-20-2011 09:22 PM

Ok I like first time mom way better. Now that you said that I think that is what she meant, but another person said it meant Full time mom.

mommy2bugnbugga 05-20-2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamma527 (Post 12980584)
Ok so I heard the acronym FTM Full Time Mom the other day for the first time. It has really been bothering me. Aren't we all full time moms. Just because I go to work doesn't mean I stop being a mom. When their kids go to school are they no longer a FTM since they aren't with their kids all day?

I'm usually very laid back and things like this don't usually bother me, but this one really got under my skin. Thanks for letting me vent.

I have actually used this term when talking to some of my family members. I call my sister and my BIL a Monday-Friday mom/dad. What I mean is, every friday after school, my niece goes to a grandparent or close relative for the night. My sister gets her Saturday around noon for about 5 hours, then takes her to another relative and gets her Sunday just before dinner time and takes her home. During the week, my sister is a gymnastics coach, so my mom picks up my niece from school and keeps her until my sister gets off work then she picks her up. My BIL is home during all of these times and chooses not to take my niece because "she gets in the way of his relaxation time". She has no idea what it is like to be a full time mom. She has never had to do it before.

Mamma527 05-20-2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommy2bugnbugga

I have actually used this term when talking to some of my family members. I call my sister and my BIL a Monday-Friday mom/dad. What I mean is, every friday after school, my niece goes to a grandparent or close relative for the night. My sister gets her Saturday around noon for about 5 hours, then takes her to another relative and gets her Sunday just before dinner time and takes her home. During the week, my sister is a gymnastics coach, so my mom picks up my niece from school and keeps her until my sister gets off work then she picks her up. My BIL is home during all of these times and chooses not to take my niece because "she gets in the way of his relaxation time". She has no idea what it is like to be a full time mom. She has never had to do it before.

Poor kid

Lilysmom10 05-23-2011 10:09 AM

I used to see FTM referring to "first time mom" but now am seeing it increasingly used for "full time mom" - i.e. a SAHM. It really, really bothers me; I'm a mom 24/7 and that includes while I'm at work. I don't stop being a mother when DD is at daycare.

No one would tell a dad who works outside the home that he's not a father while he's at work, or that he's less of a dad because of it. No one would tell a SAHM of older kids that she's not a mom while her kids are at school. I'm so sick of the Mommy Wars.

craftinmama 05-23-2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilysmom10 (Post 12993385)
I used to see FTM referring to "first time mom" but now am seeing it increasingly used for "full time mom" - i.e. a SAHM. It really, really bothers me; I'm a mom 24/7 and that includes while I'm at work. I don't stop being a mother when DD is at daycare.

No one would tell a dad who works outside the home that he's not a father while he's at work, or that he's less of a dad because of it. No one would tell a SAHM of older kids that she's not a mom while her kids are at school. I'm so sick of the Mommy Wars.

:werd:

JeDeeLenae 05-23-2011 11:09 AM

I just ignore that kind of thing. I don't have the energy to fight against things that really don't affect me. I also don't feel that everyone someone says they are x that I have to be the opposite of what they're saying. I don't think half the terms people use to try to label themselves are hadn't to be derogatory to their counterparts.

bigmamakelsey 05-23-2011 11:12 AM

Any involved mom is a full time mom - a working mom or a SAHM. Even when I'm at work, I'm always "on" - I have my cell phone on vibrate if something comes up with DS, always call on my lunch break to say hi, ect. I've been a SAHM and a working mom, and constantly a full time mom;)