Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   front loader, can I use sportwash & other q's (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12151)

FunnyMonkey 06-06-2006 04:07 PM

front loader, can I use sportwash & other q's

Hi - We just got our new front loader & I'm not sure about a few things:

- can I use sportwash still? How much should I use?
- if I need to use the he stuff, what brand is good on diapers?
- do I just run the sanitize cycle or should I do prewash & extra rinse as well?

I'm also wondering if it's working correctly. I expected to see water sloshing around in there up to part of the window, but it seems like just enough water goes in to get the load wet, but no extra water other than that. Is that right?

Any other tips?

Thanks!!

Fullhouse 06-06-2006 04:20 PM

Re: front loader, can I use sportwash & other q's

Sportwash works great, just a cap full.

I use "whatever" on clothes, at the moment it's Sun.

Sanitize is OK on occasion, but don't do it all the time. Prewash & extra rinse. If you can't see any water, you maybe overloading. I stay between 1/3 to 1/2 full.

a_cthelen 06-06-2006 05:03 PM

I do cold pre-wash w/ no detergent, then a hot wash w/ very little detergent with an extra rinse. Dipes seem to be doing well...so far!:thumbsup:

Merisong 06-06-2006 05:07 PM

I have no idea what differences there might be between brands/models but mine doesnt have a water line visible on the door.. :headscratch: I would say only enough water to completely saturate the clothes and a little bit more.. reguardless of the size of load... also, before I knew about using 1/2 or less detergent I would have SUDS up on the lid and 2 times I had SUDS come out the soap dispenser in the top (oops!) :cry: I quickly learned that I need to use EITHER HE detergent OR 1/2 or less of the normal dosage of regular detergent (not necessarily alternative brands) .. I just started using Allens Naturally and for a huge load of dipes I use the recomended amount but for all other loads even with A.N. I use 1/2 the recommended with no problems. I do actually do a prerinse, sanitize, and a post rinse on dipe loads but I have newborn poo I am trying to get out.. on the loads with no nb poo, I just do a normal wash with an extra rinse.. I would think that sportswash would be fine, just experiement with amt of detergent vs size/dirtiness of load.. its is very easy to have too much soap but its also easy to have too little! I try to err slightly on the too much and do an extra rinse.. the few times I erred on the too little side it was SUPER inconvinent to run the load again.... sigh.. :banghead:

sorry about the rambling reply! Hopeflly something was useful!:mrgreen:

Enjoy your frontloader!! :) I LOVE mine!! :):thumbsup:

Watercolor Ponies 06-06-2006 05:44 PM

I use sportwash, a couple of Tbsp in my Fl. I use the sanitize function, as it heats up the water even hotter for better disinfection. I have never had a problem with my routine. Sometimes I add a bit of oxyclean as a prewash to get rid of hemp stink. hth!!

gr33nie 06-06-2006 06:08 PM

I do a cold wash with no soap

then the sanitary cycle with 1 tsp. Allens Naturally and 1/4 cup vinegar in the softener compartment

( I have a big LG front loader)