Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   applesauce- can you just give baby "adult" organic? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12156)

Kelolsen-and-Padawan 06-06-2006 04:19 PM

applesauce- can you just give baby "adult" organic?

I'm going to be starting solids once we move. My Mom is coming to help w/ t he baby while we unpack,etc. She's going to help me start Ethan on rice cereal,etc. She said she often dipped the end of t he spoon (just a tad) in applesauce before feeding me, so it would taste better. I bought some organic "first apples" baby food but it looks like the same exact ingredients that's in organic "grown up" applesauce - is there a difference?

MamaLove 06-06-2006 04:22 PM

Re: applesauce- can you just give baby "adult" organic?

My ds loves the adult applesauce (just organic apples and water). I read once that a breast milk/formula substitute is almond milk, apple juice and spirulina, so it must be ok for young babies, too.:mrgreen:

childers521 06-06-2006 04:23 PM

the only difference is texture (and price) the baby applesauce will be VERY finely ground, to the point of being smooth, and the regular applesauce will have a little more texture to it.

I would think it would be fine as long as baby doesn't have texture issues

Luv2bemommy 06-06-2006 04:44 PM

I give it to my 9 month old and she loves it.. Just apples and water, no sugar.. She makes a face at first but now she digs it! LOL

Kelolsen-and-Padawan 06-06-2006 04:45 PM

thank you!

hollyhobby30 06-06-2006 04:48 PM

Yep, I have always served them the big jar kind. No problems.

littleways 06-07-2006 10:21 AM

I was wondering this myself - thanks for all the input ladies!

yellowcampcat 06-07-2006 10:49 AM

I had the same question when my dd was that age. My pediatrician said the ingredients are the same in baby and adult, so adult (fine textured kind) is fine. When he gets a little older, you can also use regular no salt/sugar added beans, fruit, etc. instead of the baby or toddler kind. Much cheaper!

Malka 06-07-2006 11:23 AM

Dd has/had sensory issues and would only eat the adult applesauce. She wouldn't eat baby food texture, including applesauce.

Malka

GrowingUpMad 06-07-2006 11:34 AM

My peditrician actually reccommended it. He said the baby kind is just thinner (smoother) and actually has a lot of sugar and the organic "grown up" kind is a bit thicker (don't get the chuncky kind) and has less sugar because it is natural. I was shocked to learn that they actually add sugar to baby food.