Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Is Goats Rue really safe to boost supply? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1216869)

"mommysmilkisyummy" 05-24-2011 07:31 PM

Is Goats Rue really safe to boost supply?

Hi everyone! I am currently BF my 9 month old, she has been BF exclusively since birth, no formula. We started solids/table food at around 6 months and I've noticed my supply has dropped. It doesn't seem that she's getting the majority of her nutrition from the BM now, as she is from the regular food. I'd really like to turn that around but I don't want to stop feeding her solids. I heard in a natural mama group that Goats Rue (aka French Lilac, Holy Hay) is really great at increasing milk supply as well as increasing breast size and acting as a diuretic. However, I can't seem to find much more information about it.
Has anyone tried it? Are there any side effects I should be aware of. I'm a little concerned about it lowering blood sugar, I'm not diabetic but I do feel it if my sugar is low sometimes because of a skipped meal or something.
Any information and advice would be helpful and appreciated! Thanks!

aumismommy 05-24-2011 11:00 PM

Re: Is Goats Rue really safe to boost supply?

Quote:

Originally Posted by "mommysmilkisyummy" (Post 13005115)
Hi everyone! I am currently BF my 9 month old, she has been BF exclusively since birth, no formula. We started solids/table food at around 6 months and I've noticed my supply has dropped. It doesn't seem that she's getting the majority of her nutrition from the BM now, as she is from the regular food. I'd really like to turn that around but I don't want to stop feeding her solids. I heard in a natural mama group that Goats Rue (aka French Lilac, Holy Hay) is really great at increasing milk supply as well as increasing breast size and acting as a diuretic. However, I can't seem to find much more information about it.
Has anyone tried it? Are there any side effects I should be aware of. I'm a little concerned about it lowering blood sugar, I'm not diabetic but I do feel it if my sugar is low sometimes because of a skipped meal or something.
Any information and advice would be helpful and appreciated! Thanks!

MotherLove sells goats rue capsules and puts it in a few of their other products for milk supply increasing. They have an awesome site - here's a link to their goats rue page:
http://www.motherlove.com/category/r...goats-rue.html

I took one of their tinctures (More Milk Plus) that had goats rue in it and I noticed a way bigger increase with it versus taking the other ingredients without goats rue. It works really well for me. Goats rue is actually the go-to milk increaser (galactogogue) in Europe from the research I've done. HTH!

pagodagirl 05-25-2011 12:39 AM

I've used the motherlove blend that has goat's rue and had good results, I switched the the more milk plus (which actually is the blend without goat's rue) since the motherlove website said goats rue can be used to increase breast tissue and I do not need that! (size H postpartum, ugh!).
Kellymom is a great website with lots of breastfeeding resources. Here's their page on herbal galactogogues: http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...actagogue.html

~Peach~ 05-25-2011 04:05 AM

Im going to high jack but is goats rue better than fenugreek? I am using a combo of fenugreek, blessed thistle, and marshmallow with no luck

triplet-momma 05-25-2011 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Peach~ (Post 13006656)
Im going to high jack but is goats rue better than fenugreek? I am using a combo of fenugreek, blessed thistle, and marshmallow with no luck

It was for me; I was having no luck at all with fenugreek but once I started the goat's rue there was a large noticeable increase :thumbsup:

~Peach~ 05-25-2011 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triplet-momma (Post 13007122)
It was for me; I was having no luck at all with fenugreek but once I started the goat's rue there was a large noticeable increase :thumbsup:

Thats where Im at now. Taking 3 capsules4 times daily and along with 4 capsules a day of the marshmallow and blessed thistle with nothing to show for it other than smelling like a freaking IHOP 24/7:blush:

aumismommy 05-25-2011 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Peach~ (Post 13007170)
Thats where Im at now. Taking 3 capsules4 times daily and along with 4 capsules a day of the marshmallow and blessed thistle with nothing to show for it other than smelling like a freaking IHOP 24/7:blush:

I had a good increase with fenugreek BUT it totally hurt my stomach :yuck: so I needed something else. The goats rue (in whatever blend it is offered or by itself) has helped me sooooo much. I also make a tea from dry herbs that I drink a cup or two of every day (just buy bulk herbs organic: raspberry leaf, nettle, alfalfa, dandelion) helps hugely.

:hugs:

triplet-momma 05-25-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Peach~ (Post 13007170)

I take the More Milk Special Blend (2 capsules 3 times per day) and I also added domperidone; with those 2 I"m able to come damn close to exclusively breastfeeding. Hoping to ditch our last supplement in the next few weeks :lostit: