Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Nitrous for birth (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1217580)

Joyful Tie Dyes 05-26-2011 07:49 AM

Nitrous for birth

My MW just posted this link

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nitro...91653137521474

bigmamakelsey 05-26-2011 11:05 AM

Re: Nitrous for birth

Hmm..Interesting. It does seem like a safer option than an epi, but I wouldn't personally want to use it. Not caring during labor is something that I definietly would not want to feel. Besides, one of the main reasons I decided to have a homebirth is so I wouldn't be tempted by medicines, weather they have the "snowball" effect or not. Having this readily avaliable, or perhaps even encouraged for homebirths seems odd to me. Not wrong..just..odd.

cacasey1981 05-26-2011 11:17 AM

I'm intrigued by it - I think that during that weak point of transition it could help people jump that gap.

bcb1961 05-26-2011 11:25 AM

I can't read the OP link (at work) but I've read articles about this and I'm all for it. I don't know if it's appropriate for home births, though. I'm thinking more like birth centers. I plan to have my next baby in a FSBC and nitrous would be awesome! I love it at the dentist. I don't think it makes you "not care", it just relaxes you (for me anyway). I think alot of the benefit comes from making you focus on your breathing, which would be especially helpful during labor.

lauren420 05-26-2011 06:27 PM

I would have been all over nitrous during my last labor, I was denind drugs (and I was begging for them :blush: ) my epi was 2hrs away and I though I was going to die, it was awful, I had a natural delivery and I hated every second of it, I needed something, anything to take the edge off. My labor was fast a HARD, just under 2hrs from frist contraction to pushing Abby out. I am a wimp when it comes to pain. I get nitrous EVERY time I go to the dentist, every for a cleaning :blush:

USMCgirl_05 05-26-2011 06:36 PM

I have had it at the dentist before and I would totally use it in labor!!! I would only need it during transition but man it would be nice to take the edge off during that time...the rest of labor I can handle.

ma-meem 05-27-2011 09:10 AM

I tried it with ds#2 labour and really it did NOTHING. What it did do was help me to concentrate on my breathing during contractions, but that's about it.

JennTheMomma 05-27-2011 09:53 AM

I'm for it and think it should be available in the states. It's safer than the epidural, nubain, stadol and demerol. I personally wouldn't use it because I like feeling everything, but I'm all for it being an option.

bcb1961 05-27-2011 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauren420 (Post 13018880)
I would have been all over nitrous during my last labor, I was denind drugs (and I was begging for them :blush: ) my epi was 2hrs away and I though I was going to die, it was awful, I had a natural delivery and I hated every second of it, I needed something, anything to take the edge off. My labor was fast a HARD, just under 2hrs from frist contraction to pushing Abby out. I am a wimp when it comes to pain. I get nitrous EVERY time I go to the dentist, every for a cleaning :blush:

I get nitrous every time at the dentist too! Ever since I had a bad experience at the dentist 2 years ago. I was pregnant and left the office sobbing :fit:

I think having nitrous available at hospitals would encourage women to go without the epidural. An epidural can be great for some situations, but it's such an all or nothing approach. I don't ever want to get one again because they keep you confined to the bed. Nitrous would be great because it wears off fast, so you could get back up and move around after using it.

I think I am going to print off some info and take it with me when I go get my IUD removed in a couple of months. Maybe I can convince the birthing center to get the equipment before I have a baby there :giggle:

canadianbakers 05-27-2011 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennTheMomma (Post 13022282)
I'm for it and think it should be available in the states. It's safer than the epidural, nubain, stadol and demerol. I personally wouldn't use it because I like feeling everything, but I'm all for it being an option.

I used nitrous during transition with DS1's birth. I could still feel the contractions and knew what was happening, but was just able to better cope with them. It kinda took the edge off, but didn't numb anything by a long shot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcb1961 (Post 13022390)
Nitrous would be great because it wears off fast, so you could get back up and move around after using it.

:thumbsup: All it takes to wear off is one breath of room air, then any feeling from it was totally gone for me.