Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Advice? To try castor oil or not?! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1217637)

A&M'smommy 05-26-2011 10:06 AM

Advice? To try castor oil or not?!

So I'm only a little overdue... But here's my dilemma... I started maternity leave just a few day before my due date and I only get 7 weeks off. I really really want to be with my baby as much as possible it breaks my heart already that I have to leave her at only 6 weeks of age not to mention if I go longer and she will be even littler!
So I scheduled an induction for 41weeks (which is Monday) but I was induced with my first and it was really hard! I just so badly want her to come on her own and for labor to be natural...

So I'm heart broken and torn between between wanting a great birth experience and getting to spend time with my new baby... :(

I'm using EPO, DTD, walking, rrl, and I had my membranes stripped on tuesday... So would should I try castor oil or no...
I'm thinking maybe this weekend because if I don't go by then I'm getting induced anyways...

Thanks for the advice mamas!

AcrossTheUniverse 05-26-2011 10:09 AM

Re: Advice? To try castor oil or not?!

I think castor oil is fine to use if you are overdue. I have used it once. As long as you don't overdose you won't get the really gross side effects. I believe I mixed 2oz with a glass of OJ, chugged it, and then rinsed my mouth out and brushed my teeth so I didn't have the oily taste leftover.

A&M'smommy 05-26-2011 05:59 PM

Bump... No one else :(

chelsnels64 05-26-2011 06:50 PM

I did it at 37 weeks and went into labor 6 hours later. It cleaned me out but wasn't horrible or anything. I would totally recommended it before I would suggest pitocin.

StyciM 05-26-2011 06:53 PM

I've never tried it but it sounds like it would be worth a shot. Good luck!

A&M'smommy 05-26-2011 07:23 PM

If I were to take it like tomorrow and it doesn't work could I take it again on Sunday or is that over doing it? Has anyone taken it 2x in one week, or even within a few days?

AcrossTheUniverse 05-26-2011 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A&M'smommy (Post 13019201)
If I were to take it like tomorrow and it doesn't work could I take it again on Sunday or is that over doing it? Has anyone taken it 2x in one week, or even within a few days?

I took the first dose and then 12 hours later took a second dose. 2oz each time. I didn't get super sick or anything. My midwife actually suggested doing it this way, I was also trying to avoid pitocin.

wordmama 05-26-2011 07:27 PM

Search this thread - there was another castor oil question just a few weeks ago that might help.

USMCgirl_05 05-26-2011 07:50 PM

Maybe try acupuncture as well? I have heard it has a very high success rate for overdue moms :)

formunkyfrommommy 05-26-2011 07:57 PM

i would not do it, i was told that the castor oil can have the same effect on your baby in the womb and cause them to release their bowels just like it causes us to lol...and that can be dangerous and harmful to the baby to release meconium....so i wouldnt risk it