Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   My dad forgot what it's like to have kids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1218296)

Squeaky McMurdo 05-27-2011 12:16 PM

My dad forgot what it's like to have kids

I am at the end of my rope and need to vent. This has been 3 years in the making.

My dad forgets we have kids and forgets that kids do not come with an "off" switch and cannot be put in a kennel like our pets can so that we can drop everything to go do what he wants.

It started when my dd1 was a newborn. We lived near him and he came to my house several times while my husband was working wanting to go somewhere and got upset when I couldn't go because the carseat was in my husband's car. Even temporarily lost his mind and suggested that we could drive to my husband's work to get the carseat.

Then a year later, my brother was getting married in California and our car had broken down so we weren't going to be able to go. He suggested that he could pick me up on his way there and we could just do a father/daughter thing. I reminded him that I had a child and since the car was broken, my husband had already committed to working, and he suggested that we could drop her off in Utah with his niece for a week...

We have 2 little girls now. We are going up to Montana this weekend to look at rentals (planning this for months) because my husband got a job offer and he emailed me this gem:

Chelsea,
If you come to Billings, you are welcome to stay here at my condo. I will not be here. I'm going to Lake Powell for the Memorial Day Holiday with
[names removed] but you are welcome to stay here in my room just off the bathroom. There is a small bed where you can sleep. JD (my husband) can sleep downstairs on the couch if there isn't enough room. I don't have much bedding, so you might need to borrow some from your Mom. Towels in the bathroom closet. [name removed] my roommate knows that you may be coming. He has to work so please make sure you are in by 9 and don't make any noise until 7:30. Please make sure your kids stay in my room and are always under supervision while you are here, I don't want children wrecking my home. Please pick up after them if they have any accidents. I love you...hope you get the job!
Dad

:whoa:

So to summarize:

*you're welcome to stay
*I'm not going to be there but my roommate that you've never met will
*you can figure out how to squish into my tiny bed or your husband can sleep on the couch
*oh by the way, here's your curfew
*you can only be in my room and nowhere else in the house (except your husband can sleep on the couch at night)
*I think children are animals that will poop and pee all over the house and dig up the carpet

.........................:backout:

Not even sure how to glorify this with a response :headscratch: We weren't planning to stay there anyway because of said roommate that we've never met and because his house is full of breakables and cacti and other plants

Lovinmama3 05-27-2011 12:48 PM

Re: My dad forgot what it's like to have kids

Wow, yep your dad has totally forgotten what it's like to have young children. Not much advice, but I'm sure he doesn't mean to be rude. :hugs:

Mamma527 05-27-2011 01:58 PM

I've had friends like this. People that don't have little kids sometimes just don't get it. I would kindly decline and just never leave your children alone with people like this.

meeshkasheeba 05-27-2011 02:02 PM

Sorry mama, but good luck. My bro and SIL live near Billings in Livingston and love it there. It is a beautiful place.

Trixie 05-27-2011 02:38 PM

MY DAD IS THE SAME WAY! The weird thing is that he loves children and babies and spends as much time with them as possible, but he doesn't get the 24-hour responsibility aspect of it. And he also doesn't get pregnancy at all. He seriously cannot wrap his head around the fact that bodies change during pregnancy. I'm sorry I'm hijacking your thread, but this was a conversation I'd had with my father during my last pregnancy. (For backstory, he's a professional conspiracy theorist. Yes, that's a thing.):

Dad: Hey sweetie! Do you want to go to Dallas with me for the JFK convention? It's this weekend!

Me: Oh, thanks for the offer Dad, but I'm like, 32 weeks pregnant and can't really travel that far.

Dad: There are lots of hospitals along the way if you go into labor or something.

Me: No, it's not that. I just can't really sit in your van from New Orleans to Dallas when I'm this pregnant.

Dad: I'll put a mattress in the back of the van. You can lie down the whole time.

Me: ...um... no, that's okay. Besides, I'd have to use the bathroom several times along the way, and it's not like this would be a very pleasant journey.

Dad: I'll put a portable potty next to the mattress.

Me: Have fun at your convention, Dad!

amzasmommy 05-27-2011 02:39 PM

How about:

Thanks for the generous offer dad. Don't worry about the dh and the kids. Dh is used to the couch and we bring our own crate whenever we travel with the children.

;) That's funny. I sometimes think so forgot what it's like to have kids.

S4r4h 05-27-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trixie
MY DAD IS THE SAME WAY! The weird thing is that he loves children and babies and spends as much time with them as possible, but he doesn't get the 24-hour responsibility aspect of it. And he also doesn't get pregnancy at all. He seriously cannot wrap his head around the fact that bodies change during pregnancy. I'm sorry I'm hijacking your thread, but this was a conversation I'd had with my father during my last pregnancy. (For backstory, he's a professional conspiracy theorist. Yes, that's a thing.):

Dad: Hey sweetie! Do you want to go to Dallas with me for the JFK convention? It's this weekend!

Me: Oh, thanks for the offer Dad, but I'm like, 32 weeks pregnant and can't really travel that far.

Dad: There are lots of hospitals along the way if you go into labor or something.

Me: No, it's not that. I just can't really sit in your van from New Orleans to Dallas when I'm this pregnant.

Dad: I'll put a mattress in the back of the van. You can lie down the whole time.

Me: ...um... no, that's okay. Besides, I'd have to use the bathroom several times along the way, and it's not like this would be a very pleasant journey.

Dad: I'll put a portable potty next to the mattress.

Me: Have fun at your convention, Dad!

Lol!!!

nada87 05-27-2011 08:50 PM

Yeah that's why I don't like going to any of the family gatherings. No one understands what its like to have 3 young kids. Last Easter was and the grandparent in laws and they had prescription bottles all over the place. I spent the entire time making sure no one ate anything. This year we skipped Easter.

Mara'sMommy 05-27-2011 09:25 PM

Ive just started making sarcastic/ridiculous remarks back in response to the ridiculous things people say ( especially family ). I hate having to justify/explain myself in regards to me or my child Even though it's not intended to be funny, I have to say I did laugh out loud reading through this.

LittleThingsMama638 05-27-2011 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nada87 (Post 13026876)
Yeah that's why I don't like going to any of the family gatherings. No one understands what its like to have 3 young kids. Last Easter was and the grandparent in laws and they had prescription bottles all over the place. I spent the entire time making sure no one ate anything. This year we skipped Easter.

I feel the same way. Our families think it's completely fine to eat dinner at 8 at night, and then spend another 2 hours talking before we open presents/eat cake at family birthdays. I can't stand it. Not only is 8 two hours after dinner time, it's DS's bedtime. Then I get bad looks because my child is screaming and throwing a fit during dinner and not wanting to eat because he's tired. That and they expect him to sit at a table, be quiet, and not play for 2 hours while they talk. I just started putting my foot down. They think I'm a horrible person when I say no we won't do dinner at 8 and that I'm being difficult on purpose.

OP, I'm pretty sure I'd just take your summarization and send it to him. What was he thinking? :headscratch: