Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Anyone else's LO NOT like Disney movies? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1219651)

Qbit 05-30-2011 03:18 PM

Anyone else's LO NOT like Disney movies?

It seems like just about everyone I know with a LO around my DS's age loves Disney movies. My DS really doesn't like them though. And frankly, I don't either. They're just so stressful! The antagonist is almost always quite sinister and even scary. And I've noticed that some scenes can be quite intense and full of not so positive emotions. I realize that life isn't all sunshine and rainbows, but why can't the movies/shows our LOs watch be all about fun and happy things? Right now we're really loving Shaun the Sheep:thumbsup: If your LO doesn't like Disney movies like mine, what does he/she like?

nakedbabytoes 05-30-2011 03:48 PM

Re: Anyone else's LO NOT like Disney movies?

My youngest only likes real things(not cartoons). He's like me. I always watched Brady Bunch or Electric Company or Sesame Street. I never liked animated stuff. He likes "Mighty Machines" & "How It's Made" stuff. Take the kid to a construction site & he's in heaven!!!
I find Disney movies very harsh attitude wise. And they are very visually busy, along with constant talking & sound effects. They give me a headache!!

Suzi 05-30-2011 04:00 PM

My oldest ds is now 6.5 and just starting to get into disney movies, except toy story. We have liked toy story for a lot of years.

tallanvor 05-30-2011 05:46 PM

For the longest time my son would pretty much only watch Thomas the Tank Engine, and Bob the Builder. When Cars came out, he liked that, and around 4-5 he started liking some of the older Disney movies (Robin Hood, Oliver and Company, and Jungle Book were all hits with him). My oldest just likes movies. She has really never been picky. But my youngest is picky, too. She really likes the Barbie movies.

Aleta 05-30-2011 06:00 PM

My almost five year old hasn't watched movies for awhile now - and most cartoons either. She is always scared of the antagonist - and there is one in EVERY.MOVIE!!! She prefers Strawberry shortcake, Rainbow Bright, My Little Ponies, etc on netflix as the 'mean guy' is less scarier in the older animated shows. She also watches a lot of Good Luck Charlie, Suite Life, etc disney shows with the real people. The animation these days can be downright scary! My two older ones wanted to watch Disney's Christmas Carol and I was scared in some parts!!!

Qbit 05-30-2011 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nakedbabytoes (Post 13040886)
My youngest only likes real things(not cartoons). He's like me. I always watched Brady Bunch or Electric Company or Sesame Street. I never liked animated stuff. He likes "Mighty Machines" & "How It's Made" stuff. Take the kid to a construction site & he's in heaven!!!
I find Disney movies very harsh attitude wise. And they are very visually busy, along with constant talking & sound effects. They give me a headache!!

My DS really likes Mighty Machines too. What a great show that is:thumbsup:

Junipervt 05-30-2011 06:04 PM

DD doesn't really dislike Disney movies she just shows no interest in them. If I put on one she'll watch for a minute or 2 then walk away or ask for something else.

she really likes Kipper, Spot & the Muppets

danielle 05-30-2011 06:45 PM

We haven't played any movies for my daughter. She does love Shaun the Sheep, but my husband feels he needs to watch it with her because it has a touch of violence in it.

She currently loves Word World, Sid the Science Kid and as of a few days ago Kipper. I really try to limit the TV, so she only gets one episode of anything at a time.

MamaWillow 05-30-2011 07:08 PM

I kept DD away from Disney for as long as I could. Her bio-dad started letting her see some Disney when she was 6 or 7 I think, and still I'm not sure she has seen them all at 8. I don't like the Disney stuff, with the antagonists and the female who needs to be rescued, etc. DS probably will never be allowed Disney because DH really hates anything Disney.

DS watched Bob the Builder and the Wiggles mostly. DD loves the Backyardigans (still at 8!) but DS seems to wake up more at night when I allow Backyardigans.

HeatherlovesCDs 05-30-2011 07:13 PM

A lot of Disney movies end up being too scary or intense for my kids. We own a ton of them though. Before I started having kids I started buying them as they were "released." I remember really enjoying them when I was a kid. I was shocked when I started watching them again and can't believe my mom let me watch them. I have debated getting rid of almost all of them.

They have seen some because I didn't preview because I thought I already knew from watching it as a kids. Wrong. :blush: Overall, my kids don't dislike all of them, but there are only a couple that I'm willing to let them watch. I don't think that will change anytime soon. Too much intensity, the villains are too scary, too many bad attitudes I don't my kids picking up and too much adult content in terms of romance, even a few "love triangles" here and there. (Think Peter Pan.)

We watch things on Netflix like Backyardagains, Wonder Pets, Blue's Clues, Word World, Care Bears and the like. (All of those are instant play.) I also let them watch things on PBSkids.com sometimes, like Cyberchase. And, sometimes we watch Playhousedisney.com. They love Jake and The Neverland Pirates. We rely on Netflix and the internet.

My kids watch about an hour, sometimes 2, a day. Today, we didn't even turn the TV on. :)