Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Memory foam mattress...risk of SIDS?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1220574)

gbird1 06-01-2011 11:58 AM

Memory foam mattress...risk of SIDS??

Hi, we have a memory foam top on our mattress--not a soft pillow top, but the kind that kind of sinks in and conforms to your body. It's not firm, in other words, but it's not completely sink-down-into either. Would you let your baby sleep on a bed like this? This memory foam thing is huge and unweildy when not on the bed--not easily stored. I want to start sleeping with my son, but Im worried about SIDS. We have a spare room I can move to, which I think I might do, just to ease my mind. Just wanted to check with you guys too! Thank you for any response...:goodvibes:

PBAki 06-01-2011 12:52 PM

Re: Memory foam mattress...risk of SIDS??

I believe they're supposed to have a firm mattress until they are age two or older. Not only the suffocation hazard but also their body is developing and memory foam and soft mattresses do not provide the right support for their spine.

We bought our DD a firm mattress for her crib and she slept on it for the first couple years.

JeDeeLenae 06-01-2011 01:29 PM

How about getting a mattress topper to lay under the baby?

P!nkPepper 06-01-2011 02:40 PM

We have a foam topper (not attached) and removed it when YDS was born. We put it back when he was 23 mo. When the newbie is born, the topper will get put away again.

CherryPie 06-01-2011 03:10 PM

I would not do it. A lot of people get hot flashes and overheat when sleeping on memory foam (me being one of them).

umphreysmommy 06-01-2011 03:11 PM

I had never heard of that but we have a tempurpedic memory foam mattress and my DD has slept on it all her life.

kissum 06-01-2011 03:15 PM

We have memory foam but it's firm, so that really doesn't help you. If the baby sinks down into it, I'd say it's not safe.

USMCgirl_05 06-01-2011 03:31 PM

I have a tempur pedic one and I would be more concerned with the chemicals...I don't know what the heck that thing is made out of :giggle:

Kiliki 06-01-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USMCgirl_05 (Post 13055422)
I have a tempur pedic one and I would be more concerned with the chemicals...I don't know what the heck that thing is made out of :giggle:

LOL yea that.

I think use common sense. If your baby sinks down to the point where you think suffocation is a risk, don't use it. But if you can see that it's not going to pose a risk, I don't think it's an issue. It's kind of hard for someone to read "my foam mattress is kind of squishy but not really squishy" and know if that's safe for baby or not. KWIM?

IMO, just trust your instincts and your common sense and you and your LO will (probably) be just fine. :)

dogpaws 06-01-2011 03:35 PM

i've been wondering this.....our last baby we co-slept with (most of the time) before we got our tempur-pedic...now since i'm expecting in july i was wondering the same...i'm not too worried about the baby getting too warm since i've never gotten too warm in ours because it has the air flow stuff, but the sinking in. hmmmmmmm???