Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What's too frequent for fish sticks? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1220698)

ho11yb 06-01-2011 04:04 PM

What's too frequent for fish sticks?

DS is on an extremely picky streak the last few weeks. DH's response is to want to just let him eat the couple of things he likes at the moment (fish sticks, quesadillas, chili). I'm of the opinion that the fish sticks (from alaskan pollack) aren't the best, but they are low mercury & it won't hurt him to have them on occasion. My issue is I'm not sure i'm comfortable letting him eat them every week, let alone every couple of days.

How frequently would you be ok with - assuming you'll let your dc eat fish sticks, I don't need a rant on the evils of processed foods - We're doing the best we can and he never ate out of a single jarred baby food because I made it all.

eta- ds is 16 months old, if that makes a difference to the response.

TIA!

P!nkPepper 06-01-2011 04:21 PM

I doubt he will eat only fish sticks through to college. Give him the fishsticks & a vitamin whenever he wants them & needs to eat. He will get sick of them soon and move on to another beige food soon enough. We did chix nuggets for a few months. I haven't bought any in abt a year now.

MinkaK 06-01-2011 04:29 PM

Re: What's too frequent for fish sticks?

Well I am not a short order cook. What I make is what is for dinner. If I make something I know they will absolutely not be thrilled to eat then a make a side dish that we will all enjoy. Like I made sauteed cod last night. Kids wouldn't eat it plain, so I also served a creamy tomato sauce with sauteed zucchini and served it over the fish and rotini. I also broke the fish up into little bites and mixed theirs together.

MinkaK 06-01-2011 04:30 PM

So I guess what I am saying is if fish sticks were on the menu then they eat them, if they are not then no.

BottomOfMyHearts 06-01-2011 05:49 PM

I'm fine with fish sticks. You're baking them right?

So why not? :) But this is coming from the lady who's daughter is on a diet of chicken sticks, yogurt, grapes, strawberries, bananas, mac n cheese, quesadilla and cheese sticks. LOL

iris0110 06-01-2011 06:12 PM

Right now Tharen eats Lean pockets and V8 low sodium for most of his dinners. He is being stubborn and at least he is getting veggies. I lived through a child who could not eat certain foods because of SPD so I've seen the worst of picky eating. I'm not that bothered about a few quirks here and there as long as I can work towards rounding out their diet. Right now I know that it is a matter of stubbornness so I am pushing him to eat better. When it comes to toddler eating phases, keep offering other things, make a rule about at least trying a bite or two of what is really for dinner, but fish sticks are not the worst thing in the world.

Michelle_M 06-01-2011 06:17 PM

If you are baking them, and not frying them, it won't hurt to let him have them 3x a week. I talked to a pediatric nutritionist because the only form of protein I could get into my kids lately have been peanut butter and chicken nuggets. She told me as long as I'm making the nuggets at home and baking them (as opposed to the fast food fried kind), that it's fine. And peanut butter is high in the good fat, so on whole wheat bread isn't bad either. She said it's a stage, and they will grow out of it. She would be concerned if they weren't getting any protein at all...

So... that's my opinion.

Hugs
God bless!

crunch!910 06-01-2011 06:27 PM

We seem to eat them weekly - we being DH and DS. I don't typically eat them. I eat nonbreaded fish only. Same for chicken. They might have chicken nuggets, but I what only boiled/baked chicken.

DS hardly seems to eat anything other than pickles, catsup, mayo, strawberries, cheerios, blackberries and sliced turkey breast.

ho11yb 06-01-2011 06:28 PM

Yes, the fish sticks are baked or in a toddler melt-down emergency microwaved on occasion. I wouldn't even know how to fry them. :)

Thanks for the opinions everyone!

ho11yb 06-01-2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittee (Post 13055957)
I'm fine with fish sticks. You're baking them right?

So why not? :) But this is coming from the lady who's daughter is on a diet of chicken sticks, yogurt, grapes, strawberries, bananas, mac n cheese, quesadilla and cheese sticks. LOL

If you changed the chicken sticks to fish sticks & the mac n cheese to meatballs, you've got ds's current diet. Oh, and have to add the BLUEberries, he's got an insane love for blueberries.