Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   worried about my supply (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1220759)

carolineb 06-01-2011 06:13 PM

worried about my supply

Hi mommas! I'm a little worried about my supply. DS is EBF, no bottles at all and I nurse on-demand, anywhere from every 1-3 hours. He does sleep about 6 or so hours at night alone and then when he wakes I co-sleep with him the rest of the night. He'll nurse every 1-2 hours then. The past several days I have not been able to put him down for a nap. He nurses non-stop and a lot of the times I don't hear him swallowing at all. I feel really empty, too. I know once your supply regulates you aren't supposed to feel full or engorged, but I do worry about feeling so empty. It may be growth spurt but even after the 6-7 hours that he's slept at night, I don't feel full when I go to get up. At first I did and he would only nurse from one side, but now he has to nurse both sides.

I just got a Mirena IUD last week and have been told it doesn't affect supply, but I didn't feel like this before until now and ds is 9, almost 10 weeks old. I drink the mother's milk tea, but I don't notice a difference. I drink about 3 cups a day, plenty of water. He does have plenty of wet/poopy diapers, although he's at the point of not always going poop every day.

I just REALLY want to EBF this one totally. My first 2 I felt this same way earlier on so I gave a bottle at bedtime. I would pump but I still felt it messed with my supply, they would get frustrated at the breast so I guess they gained a bottle preference and eventually weaned themselves before 5 months.:cry: I didn't even have any engorgement when they finally stopped.

I was planning on starting to pump once a day, but really the only time I can seem to work it in is late in the evening, after ds has done to bed. He usually goes down around 9pm or so. I was planning to pump around 10 or 10:30 before I go to bed. I was thinking of introducing a bottle just for the rare occasion that I might need to be away, or on the weekend if DH can maybe take care of him and I can get out for a bit on my own and not have to rush back. But, at that time of night, I doubt I will get much from pumping at all. I was planning on using a hand pump instead of dragging out the double electric and all it's parts and pieces.

I am hoping to get some more milk plus tomorrow and try that. IDK, what do you mommas think? He just had his 2 month check up yesterday and was 11lbs 7oz. He was 25th% for weight and 50th% for height. The doc was pleased with his growth and development. I'm just so worried my supply is diminishing for some reason.

lovewool 06-01-2011 06:51 PM

Re: worried about my supply

Hey mama, I went the phases when I thought I didn't have enough milk. Just let your little one suckle as much as they want and all of that sucking will stimulate you to produce more. I'll bet it's a growth spurt. There were a few days at a time here and there that it just seemed like I did not have enough milk. But the fact that your little one is sleeping 6-7 seems good.

silvermaille 06-01-2011 07:15 PM

If you're really concerned about how much he's getting, call an LC or go to a BFing group that has a scale. You can weigh before and after and see how much he's getting.

I had terrible supply issues and domperidone helped a lot. It's not legal to buy in the U.S. but you can get it from an overseas pharmacy. It's safer than the FDA approved alternative. I pumped for 15-20 minutes after every nursing session for about 7 months. It's not easy but it's doable. I sat on a futon or the couch and laid her next to me. If you can get the older ones to sit with you to read a book, try doing at least some a day.

Mirena has changed supply in some women. It's not common but it can happen. Before doing anything to increase supply, I would make sure that you're actually having supply issues and not just changes in how you feel.

colin-mylilguy 06-01-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvermaille (Post 13056513)
If you're really concerned about how much he's getting, call an LC or go to a BFing group that has a scale. You can weigh before and after and see how much he's getting.

I had terrible supply issues and domperidone helped a lot. It's not legal to buy in the U.S. but you can get it from an overseas pharmacy. It's safer than the FDA approved alternative. I pumped for 15-20 minutes after every nursing session for about 7 months. It's not easy but it's doable. I sat on a futon or the couch and laid her next to me. If you can get the older ones to sit with you to read a book, try doing at least some a day.

Mirena has changed supply in some women. It's not common but it can happen. Before doing anything to increase supply, I would make sure that you're actually having supply issues and not just changes in how you feel.

:yeahthat:

I can't stress enough how important it is to see an IBCLC if you are concerned. If there is a problem, they will have the tools and wisdom to "troubleshoot" with you and find a solution. If there isn't a problem, you'll have peace of mind, once they see you. :hugs:

rushtodanger 06-01-2011 09:08 PM

I know that it's hard, but try not to stress out, that's the worst thing you can do. Your milk supply is probably just evening out and adjusting itself to how much your baby is actually eating. As long as your baby is having enough wet diapers then it is most likely that you are producing enough milk for him. Let him nurse as often as he wants for as long as he wants- your body knows what to do. :)

I would definitely try to squeeze in a pumping session in the evenings after your little guy is asleep. I know that the electric pump and all of it's cords and tubes and bottles seems like a pain in the butt, but you will probably have better results than with a hand pump if you are trying to increase your supply. Even if you only get an ounce out of each side, an ounce is an ounce! Maybe just create a little pumping station for yourself where you can keep your pump plugged in and everything set up? It won't seem like such a hassle if everything is all ready to go.

Are you drinking enough water? I know it seems super basic, but I've found this really helps me when I feel like my supply is dipping. I usually notice an increase when I make a point to drink 10-12 cups of water a day. I use a clear Nalgene bottle so I can see how much water I'm actually consuming. It really does help!

Good luck, everything is going to be just fine!

Sarawithouth 06-01-2011 11:00 PM

Just wanted to give :hugs: I'm in a similar boat. My supply is regulating and I went back to work part time last week - my breasts haven't felt full since. Baby loves being on the boob when I'm with her, even though it doesn't sound or feel like she's drinking. She doesn't get upset with hunger and she's voiding fine, so I feel ok.

Sent from my phone using DS Forum

carolineb 06-03-2011 04:22 PM

Update! I met with a LC today and we are so totally fine. His weight is good and he took over 3oz from one side! Then he took more from the other side to total 4.7oz. I think it must have been a growth spurt or something. I guess my body has adjusted but it was reassuring to go and see that weight check. I was just really enjoying those bigger boobies!

Kätzchen 06-03-2011 04:28 PM

:hugs: :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

tylelia 06-03-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolineb
Update! I met with a LC today and we are so totally fine. His weight is good and he took over 3oz from one side! Then he took more from the other side to total 4.7oz. I think it must have been a growth spurt or something. I guess my body has adjusted but it was reassuring to go and see that weight check. I was just really enjoying those bigger boobies!

Yay! Good job! :)

Jaci 06-03-2011 10:12 PM

So glad you got help! The whole not feeling full is such a big boobie trap, lots of moms start supplementing at that point when in reality, it is more normal to not feel full than it is to be engorged! Good for you!