Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What's up with all the "graduations" from everything? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1221001)

Joyful Tie Dyes 06-02-2011 08:25 AM

What's up with all the "graduations" from everything?

Graduations from the 3 year old class, graduations from Kindy, graduations from 3rd grade etc. I have recvd invitations from no less than 6 graduation parties for kids under 10.

I think it all takes away from the specialness of REALLY graduating.

Kriket 06-02-2011 08:29 AM

Re: What's up with all the "graduations" from everything?

Ita. When I graduated from community college I was like sweet, I finished! No parties, no presentsxc. It felt silly to get pumped about commu it college. Evidently, I should have thrown a rager, because my 6y/o nanny-kid is having a kindly graduation blow out, so dumb.

Sry 4 typos auto correct is the devil

jacquelinemarie82 06-02-2011 08:30 AM

That's how my husband feels. He HATES Kindergarten graduations. I don't hate them but the madness has to stop somewhere. 3rd grade graduation???? Not necessary. Their parents and close family can celebrate at home.

JeDeeLenae 06-02-2011 08:39 AM

I thought the school's Kindergarten graduation ceremony was cool, but it wasn't time for an open house. Maybe they're trying to keep it special so kids will keep going every year and not drop out? They have a "promotion" ceremony for the other kids here.

Joyful Tie Dyes 06-02-2011 08:39 AM

Every child I know regardless of age is having a "graduation".

katiekat1032 06-02-2011 08:41 AM

I think Kindergarten and preschool graduations are ridiculous. What makes those years any more special than the rest? And a third grade graduation? I don't get it.

Janet4 06-02-2011 08:49 AM

I've often wondered about this myself. I graduated from HS and university; not every time I moved up to the next school. To me it falls in the same category as sports leagues for elem kids who give out trophies to every kid on the team no matter how well the team or kid did. How do we teach our kids the real value of truly achieving when they are given trophies & awards for just showing up?

BeckyP 06-02-2011 08:53 AM

I only know about kinder grad and then when you graduate high school. To me kinder graduation is good because it really is an accomplishment for a 5-6-7 year old. It is also their first time being in a structured environment for most of them and they have to learn to get alone with other kids. Plus they are away from their parents all day. Not to mention all the new things they learn. It is a lot of accomplishments for such a young age.

FernHollow 06-02-2011 09:02 AM

I totally agree, I think it is really silly. Why not just have an end of the year class party or something? Why does it have to be a full on "graduation"? I remember when I was in school that we had a graduation when we finished elementary school (very small school though) and then high school.

I didn't even attend the graduation for my community college where I attended nursing school, it just didn't seem like that big of a deal. Yeah I was glad to be finished, but I didn't feel the need for it. I've seen friends on FB talking about "pre-K graduation" and "2nd grade graduation" it left me scratching my head. We homeschool so I must be out of the loop with that stuff!

jenn5388 06-02-2011 09:03 AM

it's really silly to me. I've seen some crazy stuff with all these graduations.