Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   talk to me about infants at the pool (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1221128)

mommyria2 06-02-2011 12:29 PM

talk to me about infants at the pool

:I'm taking ds to the pool for the first time when i get off work today!:thumbsup: I was just planning on doing the baby pool (he's 8mo) but someone asked me if I was going to put his head under the water. I hadn't even thought of that, I think I'd be too scared.

I've heard of infant swim lessons so I imagine this happens and babies don't die but should I try something like this or just avoid it all together?

Kriket 06-02-2011 12:34 PM

Re: talk to me about infants at the pool

I've never felt the need to dunk an infant. People are really interested in the dive reflex, but it doesn't last forever, I can't remember when it "wears off" but really, what is the point. That reflex is there as a survival skill, not a party trick.

My DS used to love sitting in the baby pool or one of those ring floaters and splashing his brains out. We're getting geared up to start going again this year! My DS is 2, and we have a splash park that we're going to check out too, the "Big kids" usually aren't too interested in the splash park when there is a pool, so he doesn't have to worry about them.

Sleep deprived 06-02-2011 12:39 PM

Different kids will react differntly. Obviously. Some of the kids at our swim class thought being dunked was hilarious. Others found it deeply objectionable. DS is sort of ambivalent.

If you do want to try, here's what our swim class recommends:

Hold baby under the armpits a bit away from your body. Count to three, to let him know something is coming. Then, blow in his face - he will automatically draw in breath and close his eyes. When you dunk him, swoop him under the water towards your body and out up next to your face. (From the side, this might look a bit like a J shape.) Heap praise on him. The point of this method is to keep the water flowing past his nose, so the likelihood he gets a snoutful is diminished.

formunkyfrommommy 06-02-2011 12:39 PM

we just did infant lessons with ds at 2.5 years old and it was NEVER recommended by the teachers to dunk our children....get them to sprinkle water on their heads yes, but not dunk under any circumstances

nakedbabytoes 06-02-2011 12:49 PM

Ugh. Why? Sounds like a guaranteed way of making your child afraid of the water! Not to mention that I DID it to them.
Um, no thanks! He does it in his own time.

dancermommy1 06-02-2011 12:59 PM

My lo loves the pool! He's 11 mo and has been "swimming" since 3mo.
He has gone under water but we dudnt just dunk him. It took alot of working up to and we pulled him through the water to us, not just "dunk" you're under. We took lessons at our YMCA.

Fairycat 06-02-2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleep deprived (Post 13061461)
Different kids will react differntly. Obviously. Some of the kids at our swim class thought being dunked was hilarious. Others found it deeply objectionable. DS is sort of ambivalent.

If you do want to try, here's what our swim class recommends:

Hold baby under the armpits a bit away from your body. Count to three, to let him know something is coming. Then, blow in his face - he will automatically draw in breath and close his eyes. When you dunk him, swoop him under the water towards your body and out up next to your face. (From the side, this might look a bit like a J shape.) Heap praise on him. The point of this method is to keep the water flowing past his nose, so the likelihood he gets a snoutful is diminished.

:giggle: Unless your my DS, my DS when we blew in his face he actually opened his mouth and eyes, so dunking didn't happpen. DS first got in our pool at like 2 weeks old (salt system), then at 5.5 months we started classes. He was one of the rare few the blowing trick did not work on, so we mostly skipped dunking. DS is a little fish who loves the water and can't wait to get in the water now at 21 months. He is allowed to go under a bit when he jumps to us in the water, but we don't purposely dunk him and never did. When water gets on his face he is fine with it though so we are ok with that :)

KellyBreen 06-02-2011 01:23 PM

I waited until my daughter was 3 before I did swim lessons. All of her playgroup mates were already swimming, but she didn't seem to mind that she waited. Once she started swim lessons, she could tell me what she was comfortable with and what she wasn't. I think she learned faster this way! ^_^

momofdestructobaby 06-02-2011 01:32 PM

Did swim classes with both my girls from 4 months up. Never ever did an instructor suggest it was a good idea to dunk either of them. They will go under in their own time, when they are ready.

umphreysmommy 06-02-2011 01:34 PM

I don't dunk my 18 month old. She does try and swim with me holding her belly and sometimes puts her face in a little but I would never submerge her. We will probably do swimming classes next spring/summer when she is over 2.