Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Newfound obsession with pacifiers? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1221206)

UnderTheStars 06-02-2011 02:13 PM

Newfound obsession with pacifiers?

Has anyone had a toddler >1yo who has suddenly become more obsessed and/or desperately wanting a pacifier? In the past month my 18mo son can barely go 20 minutes without throwing a fit for his pacifier, whereas before he only needed it to fall asleep. He had some back teeth coming in but they've seemed to have popped through. I'm not "against" pacifiers, but his constant tantrums for them is getting REALLY old. Has anyone else dealt with this?

umphreysmommy 06-02-2011 03:33 PM

Not an obsession but my 18 month old never used a pacifier and now within the last month she has been taking her big cousins and using it. Like walking around with it in and sleeping with it in the car. If we don't see them for a few days she doesn't need one but as soon as we get back to their house she pops one in. Maybe because she sees her cousin use one?

ho11yb 06-02-2011 03:47 PM

Re: Newfound obsession with pacifiers?

DS always liked his binkie, but at about 14 months (right about the time he weaned bc my milk dried up) he started constantly calling for his "bee". He always wanted one in his mouth, and another 1 in his hand. He didn't always suck on it. He'd throw it, go get, it, repeat. It is better if there isnt one in sight, but if he sees one anywhere in the room, he'll throw a fit if he doesn't get it. I think for DS, it likely is bc he still needs to suck, but my milk dried up and after a few weeks, he gave up on dry nursing. Things got a bit better when we gathered up all the binkies to one location and if he's busy doing something, we will try to get it from him and put it out of view. We've been able to go longer without the "bee" and had fewer meltdowns that way. He still has it a lot though!

UnderTheStars 06-02-2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ho11yb (Post 13062981)
He always wanted one in his mouth, and another 1 in his hand. He didn't always suck on it. He'd throw it, go get, it, repeat.

This is exactly what our son does. Except in his case, he is still using a bottle (another long story) so he has a lot of opportunities to "suck". <---That is a weird sentence, but you know what I mean...I hope.

Sigh. I hope it's a phase!

TalkinBoutMyGirl 06-02-2011 08:40 PM

Totally normal Alex. H seemed more obsessed with hers as she got older. I think it has something to do with being able to ask for it and control it more...basically being more aware of it really. H doesn't suck hers either it just hangs out of her mouth lol I agree with the out of sight out of mind thing..maybe try to redirect him and see if you can get his mind off of it. Also he may just be feeling a lil extra stressed out and need his soothing mechanism. I know his trantrums aren't easy to deal but I hope you 2 can find a happy medium :hugs:

pcjs 06-02-2011 09:05 PM

It absolutely happened to us too. My son would take it at naps, sleep and sometimes at other times but not that often and would never ask for it but it got to the point that he was far more happy with it all of the sudden from about 13-18 months. We started to get concerned but it was clearly teething so we got rid of it. Everyone said it would be a big deal and it wasn't. I started at naps - 2 and then we pulled it at night and I replaced it with a few new tethers as he didn't like the old ones. It was weird as I put off getting rid of it for months thinking of all the drama and there hardly was any. When he starts to chew, we give the tethers and now he's starting to not even want them. We just went to the dentist and she suggested raw carrots. I was worried that they'd be a choking hazard but she said no and they've been working well.