Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska & Hawaii (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Moving to Anchorage! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1221739)

PerrisMom 06-03-2011 01:51 PM

Moving to Anchorage!

Ok, hi all! And thank you in advance for the help!

I'm a single mom who has been offered a job up in Anchorage, and basically I'm would love some more information on the area.

Some info about us: I would be making $19 an hour, working full time, & my daughter would be in day-care. I've always wanted to live there, and now that I have the chance I want to jump on it, but I want to make sure I am making a well informed decision.

Questions:
-Is $19 enough to make ends meet as a single mom in Anchorage?
-I would have 4 days to find a daycare, an apartment, and a car before I would be starting work. Is this impossible? (My mom would be helping me move, so there is some flex in this time frame)
-I would be working at the 5th Avenue Mall, so I would like to stick around that area, is it a safe one?
-Is it hard to find cheap furnishings up there? Or should I figure out how to ship stuff?

I realize this seems nuts, but I would love some insight to the area. Feel free to ask me any questions, thank you!!!

Weezy6703 06-03-2011 02:10 PM

Re: Moving to Anchorage!

I have absolutely ZERO beneficial advice to add but did want to say how cool! LOLOLOL. My twin brother and I were born in Anchorage (dad was in AF) and I've always wanted to go back to at least visit! ;-) That was almost 32 years ago though so I'm definitely out of the loop. Best wishes!!

PerrisMom 06-23-2011 10:39 PM

OK, it's official!! I will arrive in Anchorage on July 16 and my daughter will follow a few days later. Does anyone have any advice for good places to live or good daycare?

ANY info would be really really helpful!! Thanks :)

PerrisMom 06-23-2011 10:40 PM

OK, it's official!! I will arrive in Anchorage on July 16 and my daughter will follow a few days later. Does anyone have any advice for good places to live or good daycare?

ANY info would be really really helpful!! Thanks :)

EricaLynn 06-23-2011 10:43 PM

I'm in southeast but an_aurora is from the valley. (in sure you could pm her!)

an_aurora 06-23-2011 11:05 PM

Hi :D

I live in the Valley. TBH, $19 would be pretty tough in Anchorage, but do-able. I'm sure you could find a cheap apartment but there's a lot of ghetto places out there, and mid-summer is not a good time to be moving. We are moving too, and decently priced places are snatched up within hours of them being posted. Craigslist has a tons of apartments though, so hopefully you can find something that way. Stay away from Mountain View!!! Anchorage is a weird town; there are pockets of nice places interspersed with not so good places. Downtown around the mall is kinda iffy...Mountain View isn't too far away and there are some sketchy places but there are nice places thrown in too.We had a nice duplex in a nice part of town and we had drunk homeless people yelling outside our house on multiple occasions. We moved out of town for that reason, and into the Valley. We LOVE it here. It's cheaper, quieter, nicer places, friendly small town atmosphere, etc. The commute into Anchorage is 35-45 minutes, depending on the traffic. DH did that every day for school until recently and it was fine.

savvytrav 06-23-2011 11:37 PM

Oh, how lucky of you!!! I'm a single mom also, and want to move back up there so badly, mind if I join y'all?? kidding (mostly).
When I lived there I was a full time, live-in nanny, so I didn't have to worry about housing or cars, but I did get to know the area a bit.
Places around Forest Park dr and Northern Lights Blvd (north of n. lights, NOT south) are pretty decent, mostly houses...but some condos and 'mother-in-law' sort of places.
A few areas of downtown are nice; your best bet is probably go around a bit and see what looks appealing to you :)
In my honest opinion, living in alaska is TOTALLY worth being frugal/barely making it financially. :thumbsup:
Plus, who knows, maybe you'll find a rich, buff mountain man! haha. As the saying goes: 'the odds are good, but the goods are odd'!!! :roflmbo:

savvytrav 06-23-2011 11:42 PM

Oh, and you'll be in time for the state fair in august, so so fun!!!

an_aurora 06-24-2011 01:02 AM

Lol, we live close to the fairgrounds and grumble about the Fair season! But it's so much fun it's worth it :lostit:

PerrisMom 06-24-2011 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by an_aurora
Hi :D

I live in the Valley. TBH, $19 would be pretty tough in Anchorage, but do-able. I'm sure you could find a cheap apartment but there's a lot of ghetto places out there, and mid-summer is not a good time to be moving. We are moving too, and decently priced places are snatched up within hours of them being posted. Craigslist has a tons of apartments though, so hopefully you can find something that way. Stay away from Mountain View!!! Anchorage is a weird town; there are pockets of nice places interspersed with not so good places. Downtown around the mall is kinda iffy...Mountain View isn't too far away and there are some sketchy places but there are nice places thrown in too.We had a nice duplex in a nice part of town and we had drunk homeless people yelling outside our house on multiple occasions. We moved out of town for that reason, and into the Valley. We LOVE it here. It's cheaper, quieter, nicer places, friendly small town atmosphere, etc. The commute into Anchorage is 35-45 minutes, depending on the traffic. DH did that every day for school until recently and it was fine.

I wish I had a choice about when I was moving, but I start my new job on the 26th so I've got to be up there ASAP. I've heard tons of bad things about mountain view and spenard areas, so I've been searching craigslist for away from those but it's hard since I'm not actually there yet! I thought about living in the valley but I was kind of worried about the drive. I figured I should know the area some first before living far away from work. Especially since my schedule will probably be around 8-5, I wouldn't want to hit traffic.

Thank you for all of the info! Would you mind if I bombard you with random questions when they come up?