Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   vitamin k and eye "goop" at birth (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1221834)

sugar_booger 06-03-2011 04:40 PM

vitamin k and eye "goop" at birth

posted this in DD group, but thought I'd open it up and see what everyone else has to say :thumbsup:

so this is my 3rd baby, but I'm still new to more natural living... and since joining DS I've heard people turn down having the vit K shot and eye antibiotics with their babies. I never thought to question this in my other kids, our hospital doesn't do vaxes in the hospital, just the vit k and goop... and my OB has never said their were risks to either (she has never really explained why they do it routinely though either). Soooo... anybody want to give me some facts on this stuff and why I would or would not want to have it done with this baby? I will be askingn my OB next appt. too, but I thought I'd do some background research before I go to her, in case she brushes it off as an "oh it's something we all do, why wouldn't you want to, etc." topic.

bigmamakelsey 06-03-2011 04:44 PM

Re: vitamin k and eye "goop" at birth

The eye goop is basically used if you have a venereal disease like clymidia (sp?) so the baby wouldn't go blind if exposed to the disease. I don't have any venereal diseases, so I refused it. The vit K helps clot blood, so we used vit. K drops.

sugar_booger 06-03-2011 04:58 PM

are there any risks to either though? I don't mind doing both, for just in case purposes, if there is no side effect/risk. I don't have any STDs, so I"m not worried there :thumbsup: is there any other infection the eye would be susceptible to that I could pass though??

poskozim 06-03-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey (Post 13070419)
The eye goop is basically used if you have a venereal disease like clymidia (sp?) so the baby wouldn't go blind if exposed to the disease. I don't have any venereal diseases, so I refused it. The vit K helps clot blood, so we used vit. K drops.

I agree. I didn't do the eye drops as I don't have any STDs. My philosophy is why give a baby less than 1 hour old antibiotics if they don't need it? I also EBF so if the child did develop a bacterial infection, I could treat it with my milk (liquid gold!) As for vitamin K, a lot of countries in Europe don't do this such as Switzerland. I really debated between doing it or not doing it, and I ultimately did it, but not until he was a few hours old. I wanted to wait a little so that I could nurse him and hold him before he was taken from me to get his weight and the vitamin K shot.

luvnmyfamily 06-03-2011 05:05 PM

We refused both at birth. The goop is just in case you have chlamidia, and vit k is for blood clotting. We wanted the day of our son's birth to be the very best and least traumatic possible... The ped at the hospital said that in the past 20 years there has only 1 case of brain hemmorage at the hospital we delivered at. I felt that if baby had the goop in his eyes it would hinder what eyesight he has even more, and I don't have chlamidia, so it really was unnecesary (sp) anyways.

THBVsMama 06-03-2011 05:29 PM

I refuse the 'eye goop' as DH & I are both monogamous and there's zero chance of either of us (leading to myself) having an STD that could be passed to my baby in the birth canal. I also declined the vitamin k injection as I didn't have a traumatic birth, nor was I planning on circumcising.

Pat899 06-03-2011 05:40 PM

We refused them both because they were unnecessary.

Seems counterintitutive to do things to newborns that are unnecessary simply because they are on the hospitals' list.

apurkeyp 06-03-2011 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat899
We refused them both because they were unnecessary.

Seems counterintitutive to do things to newborns that are unnecessary simply because they are on the hospitals' list.

They are not just on a hospitals list. For the greater good people!

Laina83 06-03-2011 06:26 PM

I've read that there may be an increased risk of childhood cancers associated with the vitamin K shot, so thats why I've decided to not do it. As for the eye goop, some hospitals use silver nitrate and some use erythromycin (an antibiotic). I'm going to decline those too, I really don't want to subject my lo to all these concoctions for no reason.

KristieW 06-03-2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apurkeyp (Post 13070903)
They are not just on a hospitals list. For the greater good people!

Except in cases where the parents are known to be STD-negative and in a monogamous relationship, the eye goop IS unnecessary. I don't understand why more parents aren't informed of that. :headscratch: