Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How do I make RRL tea? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1223650)

Sally's Red Meadow 06-07-2011 01:32 PM

How do I make RRL tea?

I have the dried red raspberry leaf tea stuff. I was wondering how to make it. I need to be drinking 2 cups a day now.
How much leaves do I use? I don't have a scale so I'm thinking in units of tablespoons.
How long do I boil it or do I just add it to boiling water and let it sit?
How long should it sit before I strain the leaves out?

purna079 06-07-2011 01:48 PM

I cant remember what my husband did exactly but it was like 1-2 Tablespoons into boiling water and he would let it steep for 15 mins.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

Sally's Red Meadow 06-07-2011 02:41 PM

Re: How do I make RRL tea?

Quote:

Originally Posted by purna079 (Post 13093990)
I cant remember what my husband did exactly but it was like 1-2 Tablespoons into boiling water and he would let it steep for 15 mins.

Thanks

purna079 06-07-2011 09:34 PM

ahhh,I asked my husband tonight. He said a heaping Tbsp into 24 oz. and steep for 8 min. though I thought it was more like 15. hmmm.....

Truckerswife 06-08-2011 05:52 AM

2-3 teaspoons per cup of water is what I've been doing. than steep 10 min or until i remember to go get it :) the last cup i made sat a hour before i got to it it was so strong i had to add water before i could drink it

Ten 06-08-2011 11:36 AM

I use the Traditional Medicinals stuff that comes pre-bagged (I think it's probably a heaping tablespoon if you measure it - or about what would fit in one of those tea clamp ball things); I add to almost-boiling water (about 8 oz) and let it sit, covered, for 15 minutes. The package says keeping it covered is important so the good stuff doesn't escape wtih the steam. :thumbsup:

Sally's Red Meadow 06-08-2011 06:52 PM

Thanks so much. I made some today but it was not very strong so I think I will put more leaves in next time.

EmilyA874 06-11-2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ten (Post 13100735)
I use the Traditional Medicinals stuff that comes pre-bagged (I think it's probably a heaping tablespoon if you measure it - or about what would fit in one of those tea clamp ball things); I add to almost-boiling water (about 8 oz) and let it sit, covered, for 15 minutes. The package says keeping it covered is important so the good stuff doesn't escape wtih the steam. :thumbsup:

:yeahthat:
I use the already bagged stuff as well (still drinking it now too!) and you are not supposed to steep in boiling water, just almost boiling. If you use boiling water it "kills" a lot of the good stuff in it. It also tastes much better if you don't use the boiling water :goodvibes:
And totally off topic, Ten, how are you doing?! So excited for you :)

Sally's Red Meadow 08-01-2011 05:50 PM

Bumping to see if anyone else here uses the dried leaves to make their tea.

Harmony96 08-01-2011 05:59 PM

When I make mine, I simmer about 4 quarts of water, and while it's heating up, I put a handful of loose tea into three quart-sized mason jars. Then I ladle the hot water into the jars and put the lids on, then I leave them overnight, and strain into a 2-quart pitcher in the morning, and put it in the fridge and drink out of that for a couple of days.

DD's labor was 12 hours and DS's labor was 8 hours, so I'm hoping the tea had something to do with it, and I plan on drinking tea with this one, too, although it's my first winter pregnancy so I might be drinking it hot this time. :)