Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Getting off the bottle, cold turkey style? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1224077)

Crew&West 06-08-2011 09:55 AM

Getting off the bottle, cold turkey style?

First off...no judgement please...

Yds is 18mo tomorrrow and still attached to his bottles. :blush: I haven't even really tried to take them away. It's the lazy mother in me. We move into our new house in 2 weeks. So I'm thinking of "forgetting" them. Has anyone done this and been successful? Is it mean?!

pcjs 06-08-2011 10:21 AM

Re: Getting off the bottle, cold turkey style?

I've heard people doing them but I wouldn't in less they were past two but the bottles were no big deal. We did sippy cups young and then he got to using them around 10-11 months at meals, then I did them around 12 for the snuggles instead of bottles and then only used bottles in the middle of the night if we needed them and then I just put them away as he didn't care (my husband had the issue over son). I'd more find a sippy he likes first. My character will only use two styles/NUK with the same mouth piece as I've tried many many kinds (I just handed over our collection to a friend) and he refuses but I haven't pushed it hard either.

kateroc 06-08-2011 10:46 AM

Eh. My feeling was always, if it comforts him and he's attached to it, let him have it. So, because of that DS just stopped the bottles (before nap and bed) at 2. After his second birthday, I tried switching him to "big boy bottles" (sippy cups that have more of a nipple than a spout), that worked for a few weeks while we transitioned bedtime routine (went from snuggling on the couch with the bottle to reading books in his room), then he just kind of didn't care about the bottle so much. Honestly, I didn't really push it and I think he was just ready to be done.

Crew&West 06-08-2011 10:49 AM

He does use sippys at lunch, during the day. The bottles he uses for cuddle time right before bed and 1st thing in the morning. I've always figured it was a "comfort" thing until a couple friends of mine were like "really?!" . My ods was off of them around 16mo old if I remember right so I sort of feel like this one NEEDS to be off them. But it's nice to know other moms still use them to 2yrs.
ETA: He does get them if he asks for them which he does usually about everyday at 4pm. He goes to the counter and says "bahddle mama" (bottle). So he gets a little one.

ouchienurse 06-08-2011 11:09 AM

DD was a little over 2 and only got them at nap and bedtime. Took it away at nap for a couple weeks and she did fine. Then we talked about it and decided she was a big girl and didn't need it at night. She got a sippy with water.
For about a weeks she'd ask for a "baba" at bedtime and i would tell her she was big and didn't need it and all was well. She's 3 now and about once every 6 months she'll still ask at night then giggle and say " I just kiddin' mommy, I a big girl now", lol

Nerissa 06-08-2011 11:26 AM

We took away bottles at about 13 months and replaced them with soft nipple sippy cups for right before bed. I had no issues with any of them.

so I say go for it and if it doesn't work then go get one and start slower.

Good luck.

pcjs 06-08-2011 11:28 AM

Does he need one or is it just a habit of yours and his as that is the routine? (I don't mean it in a negative way as I went through it with my husband and with him I went cold turkey and packed them up and only left 2 out just in case but I knew he wouldn't go after them or look). Try giving him a sippy and see what happens. We use the Nuk with the same tip but it is the bigger shape for snuggle time and the smaller one with handles for meals. The bigger is so similar to a bottle that it may be able to easier make the transition that way.

I think it really depends on the child & parent but we find its more "us" than our son. We were so reluctant with the story's with the pacifier and it wasn't a huge deal and we transitioned him off over about a week.

badmisterkitty 06-08-2011 11:58 AM

Holy cow. We went cold turkey when ODD was about 1. I will never, EVER do that again. It was the longest 3 days of my life. The crying, OH, the crying. We just thought it was something we HAD to do. In hindsight, I would have let her keep her bottle for awhile longer and then introduced a sippy when she was older and could understand.

Don't let other people make you question your parenting. Sure, if he's open to using something else then that's fine too, but if he wants his bottle for comfort there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

doodah 06-08-2011 12:02 PM

Since he is 18 months and you know he will take a sippy, I would cut out one "cuddle" time at a time but only after you have adjusted from the move. The move could be a very big deal for him and hes not going to understand you "forgetting" them. You will have so much going on that most likely you will cave and give it back to him. It would be better to wait until you know for sure that you can do it then try and give up because he will remember that as well. I agree that hes too old for the bottle. JMO but the longer you wait, the harder it probably will be. Yes some kids just get over them and don't care but if your 2 or 3 year old cares then you will have a heck of time trying to get them through this.

Crew&West 06-08-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doodah (Post 13100964)
Since he is 18 months and you know he will take a sippy, I would cut out one "cuddle" time at a time but only after you have adjusted from the move. The move could be a very big deal for him and hes not going to understand you "forgetting" them. You will have so much going on that most likely you will cave and give it back to him. It would be better to wait until you know for sure that you can do it then try and give up because he will remember that as well. I agree that hes too old for the bottle. JMO but the longer you wait, the harder it probably will be. Yes some kids just get over them and don't care but if your 2 or 3 year old cares then you will have a heck of time trying to get them through this.

Good point! thank you, and knowing myself, yes I would cave under the stress myself and give in. :giggle: He's got a lot coming up.. him and big brother. A move to a new house, new room (they'll be sharing for the 1st time since yds was an infant and we tried it), new beds, etc. So probably best to keep some normalcy (sp?) for him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcjs (Post 13100657)
Does he need one or is it just a habit of yours and his as that is the routine? (I don't mean it in a negative way as I went through it with my husband and with him I went cold turkey and packed them up and only left 2 out just in case but I knew he wouldn't go after them or look). Try giving him a sippy and see what happens. We use the Nuk with the same tip but it is the bigger shape for snuggle time and the smaller one with handles for meals. The bigger is so similar to a bottle that it may be able to easier make the transition that way.

I think it really depends on the child & parent but we find its more "us" than our son. We were so reluctant with the story's with the pacifier and it wasn't a huge deal and we transitioned him off over about a week.

Oh, I'm pretty sure I'm 75% of the "problem". :goodvibes: Like I said it's pure laziness not to try harder. He asks, he recieves because he's a HUGE screamer if he doesn't get his way. Now.. on that note I should say he does NOT get his way with anything, but with this he almost does because in my eyes it's like "eh, whatever" kwim? I think I'll maybe take 1 or 2 to the new house and just keep the others packed away until we make the full transition for him.