Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   colic and comfort nursing - ahh! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1224408)

arhodes728 06-08-2011 07:41 PM

colic and comfort nursing - ahh!

hey mommas

i'm a new mom to my beautiful DD who will be 7 weeks tomorrow. we are still working through some kinks in our bfing relationship but its getting better. however, there's one problem that we cannot seem to shake and its really making me crazy.

i'm fairly sure she has colic. she gets super fussy everyday around 4 or 5 and it goes on pretty much all night until she falls asleep for the night around 930 or 10 with maybe 1 30 minute nap in there somewhere. i try feeding her when it first starts and she gets frantic and pulls off screaming so i've started lulling her to sleep slowly with a paci and cradling her and bouncing her gently. that works for a little while at least. the rest of the night is off and on nursing - i don't even know how often because it feels constant. i'm noticing that a lot of it is for comfort and to be quite honest, i really don't like it when she comfort sucks. i don't mind it when she's actually nursing and does it a little at the end to get her to sleep, but it seems like she does it a lot at night and i cannot figure out how to stop her from doing it. she won't take the pacifier each time. she's colicky so comfort nursing seems to be the only thing that will instantly calm her down. if she gets tired enough, she will eventually fall asleep from rocking, but thats not until closer to bedtime.

has anyone else had this problem? i don't mean this to be selfish, but i am so tired of being on the sofa for 4 hours at a time with her falling asleep for 15 minutes here, waking up screaming, comfort nursing, drinking a little here and there... plus i wonder if she's even getting enough hind milk when she nurses like that - it ends up being close to 10 minutes each side and she's not an aggressive nurser. i really feel crazy. i feel so bad for her when she cries and i want to soothe her but i don't want to get into the habit of her needing to comfort suck for so long every single night. i end up getting so frustrated sometimes that i have to leave her with DH and go into another room for awhile because its just too overwhelming.

any suggestions or encouragement? when does this get better? this is my first and i'm glad i'm breastfeeding but i don't think i would keep doing it past 6 months if i didn't think it would get better than this in a few months - is that true?

thanks mommas

ks20740 06-08-2011 09:25 PM

Re: colic and comfort nursing - ahh!

Oh gosh, I feel for you :( Especially, it being your first. I haven't dealt with colic before, but I have had those fussy nights when comfort nursing seems to be all that I can do. I CAN tell you this (and I know it doesn't provide an immediate remedy)...it really does take time for these little ones to eventually settle into a more calm and predictable routine. I have 3 children (14 year old, 2.5 year old, and a 2.5 month old) and EVERY single one of them had some very fussy nights - enough to make me question whether I had as much patience as I'd like to think. One of the BEST pieces of information I was ever given was from a nurse who told me that even the BEST babies with the BEST temperaments still have very immature systems and are bound to have discomfort (which, in turn, makes them crabby...you know the rest). So, mama, I hate to say it but it may just be something that is only cured with time and your boobs. Stinks to be loved, doesn't it? ;) Hang in there and good luck to you!

VeganCupcake 06-08-2011 10:19 PM

That sounds like classic cluster nursing--very normal for that age! I wouldn't worry about her getting into the habit of it, because it's a normal newborn behavior that doesn't usually continue past the "fourth trimester" anyway--no intervention needed on your part.

Both my babies were on-off-on-off fussy nursers in the evenings for a while when they were very little. My DS has sort of outgrown it now and he's 10.5 weeks.

Here's a Kellymom link about cluster feeding and fussy evenings: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

Good luck, mama! It will get better!

MaAzCaMDVa 06-09-2011 05:17 AM

Does she like being worn? My DD had a bout of fussy/colicy nights and our best bet for a quieter and calmer night was to have her in the Moby on me (not DH, unfortunately). In hindsight, she was showing early signs of mild reflux. I am certainly not diagnosing, but maybe nursing an an angle and keeping her more upright after feeding to allow gravity to help keep things down is worth a shot. That technique I didn't learn until much later, but it is essential for DS now and I am so grateful to not have fussy nights. (even though he has pretty bad reflux and several food sensitivities)

Good luck! And like VeganCupcake says, it will get better.

ltlmrs 06-09-2011 06:55 AM

Ladybug was very much like this. The Moby was a life saver in the evenings. I also found out she had reflux and that all the comfort nursing was making it worse. Maybe see if her being upright as a PP said will help. I finally learned to sleep sitting up with her on my chest. Also, gentle bouncing on the birth ball seemed to work much better for her than a rocking chair (though it was much less relaxing for me!).

It got so much better when she started solids. I started her at 4 months and by 6 months she started sleeping for several hours at a time.

susannah 06-09-2011 12:18 PM

I am right there with you sister! (Except that this is my third, so I knew to expect it, doesn't make it any easier or less frustrating though while you're in the middle of it). I definitely second (or third) putting baby in a wrap. That is a life saver for us. He will fuss for a few minutes after he is in, but then he conks out. Also, going for a little walk helps too. A walk in a wrap = miracle. I promise it will get easier.

Leaner 06-09-2011 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeganCupcake (Post 13105680)
That sounds like classic cluster nursing--very normal for that age! I wouldn't worry about her getting into the habit of it, because it's a normal newborn behavior that doesn't usually continue past the "fourth trimester" anyway--no intervention needed on your part.

Both my babies were on-off-on-off fussy nursers in the evenings for a while when they were very little. My DS has sort of outgrown it now and he's 10.5 weeks.

Here's a Kellymom link about cluster feeding and fussy evenings: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

Good luck, mama! It will get better!

:yeahthat:
Yaya did the same thing. Now at 10 weeks she has settled down on the crying part, but she wants to nurse a LOT between 7-9pm. But this also means she sleeps so well from 9 until 2 or 3 am. Hugs, and it gets better. If I were you, though, I probably would keep baby on one side for an hour or 2 and THEN switch sides.

Leaner 06-09-2011 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arhodes728 (Post 13104613)
hey mommas

i'm a new mom to my beautiful DD who will be 7 weeks tomorrow.

has anyone else had this problem? i don't mean this to be selfish, but i am so tired of being on the sofa for 4 hours at a time with her falling asleep for 15 minutes here, waking up screaming, comfort nursing, drinking a little here and there... plus i wonder if she's even getting enough hind milk when she nurses like that - it ends up being close to 10 minutes each side and she's not an aggressive nurser. i really feel crazy. i feel so bad for her when she cries and i want to soothe her but i don't want to get into the habit of her needing to comfort suck for so long every single night. i end up getting so frustrated sometimes that i have to leave her with DH and go into another room for awhile because its just too overwhelming.

any suggestions or encouragement? when does this get better? this is my first and i'm glad i'm breastfeeding but i don't think i would keep doing it past 6 months if i didn't think it would get better than this in a few months - is that true?

thanks mommas

Also, you are still at working through post partum hormones, so this is all perfectly normal.(The way you feel) Seriously by 8ish weeks Yaya was so much better and things are looking up.

ETA- Yes... it gets better (for most of us) And IMO its soooooo worth it.

*Summer* 06-10-2011 08:32 AM

I don't have any advice for you...but just wanted to say that I am right there with you with my 6 week old. I think it is really normal at this age. I made the mistake with my 1 1/2 year old and quit breast feeding him at 8 weeks because he acted just like this. I thought breastfeeding was the cause of his fussiness. It was a HUGE mistake, and he ended up having to be on a really expensive Hypoallergenic formula. He was so miserable on formula. Hang in there...it will get better!