Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Not getting this fleece diaper cover thing... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1226562)

nature chic 06-13-2011 07:36 AM

Not getting this fleece diaper cover thing...

If holding a baby in a fleece cover and said baby pees, is it normal to get drenched? This has happened to me twice in two different covers! DS is 7 1/2 months and is wearing GMD pf's under the covers. I am telling you I changed him 3 times in 3 hours this am because the fleece seems to wick as soon as it is wet-- Is fleece not compatable with baby-wearing?:banghead:

groovia 06-13-2011 07:50 AM

My understanding is that you would get compression leaks. I think onesies might cause it too, and even tight car seat straps.

4foxes 06-13-2011 07:59 AM

Re: Not getting this fleece diaper cover thing...

will the compression leaks happen with wool too?

xixicama 06-13-2011 08:15 AM

yes both fleece and wool are water RESISTANT, not water PROOF. you will get compression leaks with both given that situation.

nurse&mom23 06-13-2011 08:20 AM

Yeah, you can expect to get damp if you are babywearing in fleece or wool. If you use a soaker that is double layer( fleece or wool) and add a doubler to your prefold (hemp resists compression wicking but any extra absorbency will help) it will help. If your LO is really a super soaker you may want to go with pul when you are BWing. I like the combo of wool soaker and fleece shorties/longies for bulletproofness.

boysniris 06-13-2011 08:34 AM

I disagree w/the PPs, it's not NORMAL to get drenched through either fleece or wool, but it WILL happen if the diaper underneath is soaked. I have found that, since we ONLY use fleece or wool, putting on just a PF is not really an adequate diaper (I have LL premiums). I often put a doubler in the front, folded in half, if DS is only going to wear a PF.

You definitely have to increase the absorbency of the diapers, b/c fleece and wool can start to wick wetness though the fabric once a diaper is wet on the outside. Some mamas may not want to do this in order to use fleece or wool covers, but we have to do it b/c my DS gets rashy in a PUL cover and getting wet all the time is definitely not an option.

sarahannecloud9 06-13-2011 08:35 AM

I was having simular issues w/3 covers I just bought. I even tried soaking them in fabric softner and throwing them in the dryer with softner sheets. We were getting leaks just ds walking around though. You sound like it's compression leaks. Mine were just shotty made. I just got 3 more double layer snap on ones that hold up even holding ds. No moisture at all. Are yours double layer or just double in the wet zone?

sarahannecloud9 06-13-2011 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boysniris (Post 13134802)
I disagree w/the PPs, it's not NORMAL to get drenched through either fleece or wool, but it WILL happen if the diaper underneath is soaked. I have found that, since we ONLY use fleece or wool, putting on just a PF is not really an adequate diaper (I have LL premiums). I often put a doubler in the front, folded in half, if DS is only going to wear a PF.

You definitely have to increase the absorbency of the diapers, b/c fleece and wool can start to wick wetness though the fabric once a diaper is wet on the outside. Some mamas may not want to do this in order to use fleece or wool covers, but we have to do it b/c my DS gets rashy in a PUL cover and getting wet all the time is definitely not an option.

This is the expert to talk to for all thehelp youneed. She helped me figure out the problem with our first 3! She's amazing! I have never had trouble with wool I want to add.

boysniris 06-13-2011 08:38 AM

I just wanted to add that if my DS is in a PF, I like to change him every time he wets so he's not sitting w/a wet diaper against his skin (that will also give him a rash). He is pretty sensitive, so most of the time he has a stay-dry inner against his skin and can tolerate a wet diaper for a couple hours. I tend to mainly use hemp or bamboo diapers, too, so they hold more wetness than a cotton PF (even a premium PF is only good for one pee IME). My DS is 2. HTHs! :)

boysniris 06-13-2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 (Post 13134825)
This is the expert to talk to for all thehelp youneed. She helped me figure out the problem with our first 3! She's amazing! I have never had trouble with wool I want to add.

Thanks mama :thumbsup: I'm glad you found some fleece covers that work for you b/c I didn't know how things had turned out! :) :goodvibes: