Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Is this enough for our hospital stay? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1227076)

jessnic 06-13-2011 09:17 PM

Is this enough for our hospital stay?

Im due in a few weeks and I am packing for the hospital. DH has decided he wants to use cloth at the hospital, and we are anticipating a 48 hour stay if all goes well. I have 12 tiny g pants, 7 thirsties xs covers, 4 thirsties duo wraps, 24 preemie prefolds, 12 gmd orange edge prefolds, flushable liners, a few wetbags, a snappi, and a sample size CJs butter packed. I have sposie wipes to take with us for now, but can send DH home to get the cloth wipes if needed, and I have 12 additional gmd oranges, and 10 sherpa prefolds of the same size as the gmd prefolds at home that I can send him to get if I need them. DH is willing to do diaper laundry if I need him to. Is this everything I need?? I had not planned on cloth at the hospital, but I left diaperswappers up on our computer and now he knows the ickiness of sposies, so he is all on board for cloth. I just want to be prepared so our first attempt at cloth goes smoothly :)

nonipie 06-13-2011 09:29 PM

Re: Is this enough for our hospital stay?

I don't think you will need all of that at all. The first day or two they hardly wet at all. If DH is going to go home and wash I would take the preemie prefolds, duo wraps, a snappi and wetbag. I can't imagine that you would go through all those covers. They are only pooping meconium and it's pretty clumpy so not too likely to get on covers. The flushable liners are totally unnecessary as it washes just like normal and doesn't stain. Once your milk comes in everything should pick up and by then hopefully you will be home. Good luck!

me_just_me 06-13-2011 09:45 PM

You really won't need that much. I know we hardly went through that many diapers because babies don't wet that much those first few days. Also, meconium washes out just fine, so no need for any liners.

nappymaven812 06-13-2011 10:25 PM

Sounds like you're set, and like the others said it likely will be to much. I started out with cloth with my second baby. She was in the same diaper all day because she pooped the first time onece on a blanket before we put a diaper on her. I don't remember how many she went through after that but it was very slow for a few days. I also know that meconium washes out without bad stains. Just put diapers with stains in the sun while they are still wet and it will come out. I think liners would be a plus! I don't know how much you have learned about cloth but I would like to share some things I wish someone would have told me. Be aware that when they start on solids and as they start eating more different kinds of food, that you can end up with stinky diapers and bad rashes (ammonia burns). The problem would be soap and/or mineral build up. I learned this the hard way and I am finally getting a handle on it after much research. Some say you can strip your diapers with dawn soap, but some say it only help a bit. It also depends on how hard your water is. I have finnaly had good sucess with a strip done with RLR laundry treatment. It worked wonders but I think I needed to do it twice. I didn't order enough for that but I am getting a soap that will also clean them well with an overnight soak. It's called Lulu's glamour wash. The reviews are awesome! I know you won't have to worry about this for a while, but I don't want the same horible thing to happen to you. So check out the reviews and see what you think. I hope this helps you have a great experience with cloth!

jojoreta 06-14-2011 12:13 AM

Sounds like a bit much to me. I would take 24 prefolds and 4-5 covers. You most likely won't need anything elae, not even wipes since the hospital provides them for you anyways. Meconium truthfully isn't as bad as everyone thinks.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using DS Forum so watch out for weird posts

KimA 06-14-2011 04:58 AM

I think that you are good to go and my theory is that it's better to have more than less. It is awesome of your DH to be on board, it's an enormous help to you. The chemicals in sposies are really nasty.
Good thoughts for the birth day! :)

tuxgirl 06-14-2011 08:40 AM

Does your dh know how to use all the dipes? Also, I don't see anything wrong with taking more than you need... i didn't cd until dd was 15 months, but I know we were in the hospital longer than expected...

jessnic 06-14-2011 09:32 AM

He knows how to put the diapers on, and I explained the laundry to him but I would rather him not be washing diapers if at all possible! Hopefully if I have all.the covers, he would only have to wash prefolds if we got stuck there for a few extra days!

kmleo07 06-14-2011 09:36 AM

The only thing that I would add is another snappi or 2! They seem to grow legs very quickly. We did cloth with the second at the hospital and pretty much used 2 dozen preemie pf and 1 dozen orange edge pf. We also used cloth wipes which were great for getting the meconium off of the babies bottom.