Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In Feb (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   Infant seat or straight to convertible? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1227399)

EmmaLaurel 06-14-2011 01:09 PM

Infant seat or straight to convertible?

We are trying to decide what to do with a carseat for the newbie. We did an infant bucket seat with DD, but she screamed bloody murder in it for five months before we finally got a convertible and she LOVED it. We think she liked being more upright. She's still in that one, obviously.

We don't have the infant seat anymore because we gave it to my cousin and his wife who were expecting their first last year - they tragically lost their baby at 35 weeks :( and I wouldn't even think of asking them if we could have it back.

So we have to buy one regardless. I like the idea of being able to move baby in and out of the house in the seat, though we never did this with DD since the seat made her so miserable. With the convertible, though, I like the idea of just buying one seat that we will use for years and years.

What are you thinking carseat-wise with your February newbie? :)

3MonkeysMomma 06-14-2011 01:14 PM

Re: Infant seat or straight to convertible?

We will definitely be doing infant seats just because they will be born in the middle of winter in Pennsylvania. I like not HAVING to take them out of their seats if we are running in somewhere fast and being able to buckle the little ones in the house where it is warm...it saves a little bit of time outside in the cold. If I lived somewhere less cold I can definitely see advantages to just getting a great convertible.

andyoly82 06-14-2011 01:22 PM

DS is only 18 mo old and I purposely got a gender neutral set that I love so I can use it again. Like the PP said I like being able to leave the baby in the set when doing errands or even if the baby falls asleep when we arrive home I don't have to disturb the LO :)

Fitter 06-14-2011 01:33 PM

we use an infant seat, JIK they fall asleep or whatnot, otherwise I usually put them in a carrier. I have to get a new car seat for this baby b/c our old infant seat has expired.

azsugargirl 06-14-2011 02:25 PM

I vote for infant seat, with two you will want to be able to take the new baby and put them asleep into a car seat stroller or take them into the house. If they sleep. My DD was always like that didn't like to be in carseat for the first 2 months. She ended up having severe reflux. She was put on meds and then was fine and finally started sleeping longer than 30 minutes as well. By this stage I was thankful I had it. I could transfer her straight to the car seat stroller and take her in restaurants and walk around with her remaining asleep. We have a convertible now but we didn't put her in it til 10 months. I think it is a personal decision though. You could also probably find a car seat program near you and get one for free. Most big cities have a local hospital where you can sign up for a class and they give you an infant seat free.

trying4more 06-14-2011 04:33 PM

We will use our infant seat from DS! I think it just easier to move baby around during the first weeks!

heavenlyblessedmom 06-14-2011 05:18 PM

Our infant seat doesn't expire until Dec. 2012, so we'll go ahead and use that until we can purchase a convertible car seat when we get our taxes back. If we didn't have the infant seat we'd go straight to a convertible. I never take the infant seat out anyway because I put baby straight into a wrap out of the car.

cjslater1 06-14-2011 05:56 PM

I think we are going to get a convertible this time. I am looking at the combi coccoro. I plan to baby wear mostly so I won't need to carry around the infant seat anyway.

amberpayne27 06-14-2011 06:54 PM

We'll try the infant at first just because I have one that I used with the first 2 that won't expire until 7/2012. But, dd2 HATED the infant seat and I always just took her out and put her in the ring sling, so we'll see.

sbdf13 06-14-2011 07:32 PM

we started out my son in a radian. We have 2 so the newbie will be in that for a few weeks then we will buy her her own seat. Myride maybe? I guess we will see if anything new is out by feb