Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Is this normal? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1227485)

seton 06-14-2011 03:05 PM

Is this normal?

Hi ladies, I was just wondering something...is it normal for a pocket or AIO to wick around the leg openings? I have tried several different brands and they all do this. My covers almost never do this. If I am super punctual with a change every 2 hrs, the pockets are fine. But they will leak if I wait any longer. I don't go more than 3 hrs (except at night) Between changes but i think 3 hrs isnt unreasonable. Anyways, I am going to sell most of my pockets and I just wanted to make sure there isn't anything wrong with the diapers.
Thank you!

4littlenorskes 06-14-2011 03:18 PM

Re: Is this normal?

What brand/type of pockets are you using? If they have hidden pul with cotton outer...they all wick and need to be changed much more frequently.

It could be there is detergent build up, not a correct fit or you need more absorbency, etc.

Have you tried stripping them?

ETA: Honestly, I cannot go more than 2 hours during the day. You might need to change more frequently especially if your lo is a heavy wetter.

KimA 06-14-2011 03:19 PM

I think that 2 hours may be too long. You may have a heavy wetter. You do have to change more frequently with cloth.
The other thing that could be the problem is that the fit may be off. Do you have several different types of pockets? Is your lo skinny in the legs? Is the elastic still good?

seton 06-14-2011 03:22 PM

I don't think the pul is hidden??I have BG 3.0 one size, BG AIO, Fuzzibunz sized and Fuzzibunz one size. It seems llike it is leaking from the fleece or suedecloth on the gussets that comes in contact with the onesie. I hope that makes sense.

justineybean 06-14-2011 03:23 PM

My DS was a heavy wetter and I could never got 3 hours with a pocket diaper without it wicking. I would try changing more often and if that doesn't help, then maybe strip them. Also is the insert soaked when you take it off your LO?

Pat899 06-14-2011 03:25 PM

Yes very normal.

You need to change your baby more often. Also you need to nix those tight onesies.

Amimama 06-14-2011 03:26 PM

Hmm I have happy heiny pockets that always leaked around the legs. I started checking for a good fit when I put them on and more importantly I added a hemp insert with the microfiber and now they almost never leak (once or twice at nighttime)

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum ^_^

seton 06-14-2011 03:36 PM

Thank you ladies! I suspected I wasn't changing often enough after I let him go coverless and realized he peed every 15-30 minutes. I felt like a dope, I totally didn't realize they peed like that. Also, I had the same problem with my daughter, thought that was just how cloth diapering was. It wasn't until I stopped putting her in onesies at about a year old that I realized it was the onesie! Now with my son I have no choice but to put him in onesies because that is what I got in hand me downs. Thankfully I have the covers and flats that never wick!

I think I will still sell most of the pockets though, the flats are much easier to wash.

4littlenorskes 06-14-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seton (Post 13146599)
I don't think the pul is hidden??I have BG 3.0 one size, BG AIO, Fuzzibunz sized and Fuzzibunz one size. It seems llike it is leaking from the fleece or suedecloth on the gussets that comes in contact with the onesie. I hope that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense...onesies and cloth tend not to mix well at all...as soon as the cotton gets a tiny bit wet it'll pull the wetness from the diaper and you than have a soaked babe!

seton 06-14-2011 03:44 PM

I can't believe it took me 12 months to figure that out! In my defense, everyone around me kept saying, "well, that's just how cloth diapers are! They leak!". Too bad I hadn't found diaperswappers until after my first was a bit older!