Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   I need to understand something about those not bf. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1227659)

greengranny 06-14-2011 08:50 PM

I need to understand something about those not bf.

And I don't want to put this on the ff board lest it be seen as a personal attack.

If you are cd'ing for the a) money savings, b) health reasons, c) environmental factors, why would you NOT breastfeed for those same, among other, reasons?

Bear in mind that I was a LLL leader and DO realize that there is a small percentage of women that are physiologically unable, but I am not talking about those.

I just can't wrap my head around someone doing cloth for any of the reasons above, but feeding their baby expensive, environmentally unfriendly, chemical - laden (and hormone if it's cow's milk formula) formula.

And no flames needed. I posted this on bf support for a reason. And I'm not bashing with the info above, just stating facts that ARE true of most formulas on the market.

newtocloth07 06-14-2011 08:56 PM

Re: I need to understand something about those not bf.

I am a bf'ing mama ...for as long as I am able. with my 1st I nursed until 3.5 months , second was 7months , 3rd was 6 months. 1st and 2nd I decided to stop on my own account, for my own reasons. #3 was actually becoming more ill from my milk, so we had to switch to NeoCate to keep him alive.

As for cd'ing and not bf...I've never met a mother who cd's but doesn't bf- BUT....I am a firm believer that not one parent is able to judge another, unless you can see another parent is causing physical /mental/emotional harm to their child... at the end of the day, a baby needs to be fed. whether it's from a breast or a bottle...they need food.

greengranny 06-14-2011 09:22 PM

There are quite a lot on this forum, and, as I said, I'm not attacking their decision; but I am curious as to why since FF would seem to be contrary to the reasons most list as reasons for cd'ing.

carolineb 06-14-2011 09:44 PM

I know a momma who does cd but ff. In casual conversations she mentioned "not having enough milk". She's a ftm and I'm sure she probably didn't receive the right information to help her understand normal ebf newborn behavior. Or maybe she really did have low supply. I don't know.

My DH asked me not to do cd while his parents visited. He thought they would think I was silly. I said , "but she cd'd!". He said "because they couldn't afford diapers". I said, "then why didn't she ebf?". She often will ask me what I have against bottles. This is where I say "nothing, but if I can make the best stuff for free, doesn't that make the most sense?" and then change the subject and go in the other room and roll my eyes!

jaelynsmommy61607 06-14-2011 09:49 PM

I have a friend who cds but ff because it was free from Wic. If sposies were free shed use them too.

Sent from my EVO using DS Forum

agalanto 06-14-2011 09:57 PM

I CD and formula fed.. CDing wasn't for saving money, because we had sposies free to us. I just like using them because they're eco-friendly and cute :) And breast feeding just didn't work out for our family.. Perhaps the money saved on diapers for some is the money spent on formula.. Save a little here, spend a little there. And breast feeding can be difficult-- especially with out the proper support. So, to each their own :dunno:

iluvmyortiz1122 06-14-2011 10:05 PM

I cd and didn't bf dd1. I bf'd her a bit, but had to go back to work at 3 months and couldn't get a supply established by pumping.
Now with dd2 I won't have to go back to work and so far we're bf'ing perfectly!

eahcapemay 06-14-2011 10:38 PM

I can think of lots of reasons-

She wants to completely equally co-parent with her husband.

She has to go back to work at a job where pumping will be difficult and she doesn't to deal with a baby who won't take a bottle or drink formula. Or she would rather never have her supply come in then deal with abruptly not pumping/nursing.

She has issues with being touched. These can stem from sexual assault or sensory issues.

She's struggled in the past and wants to just focus on establishing a relationship with her new baby and not on stressing out over establishing her supply.

She just doesn't want to.

I know you didn't intend this post to sound judgy but it does. Formula feeding is a sensitive issue around here and threads like this only deepen the schism. Also your assuming that people are consist in all their choices. They're not. Inconsistency is inherent in human nature. People frequently make life choices that are illogical.

Choosing not to breast feed doesn't make you a bad mom. Choosing to breast feed past 2 doesn't make you a bad mom. Choosing not to feed your child makes you a bad mom.

Although I will admit I get a bit judgy when I see soda in bottles...Really lady your 15 month old demanded his own bottle of RC cola?

hippieintraining 06-14-2011 10:45 PM

Friend 1: Baby 'didn't latch at birth'. BUT I know she just wants to be able to leave baby and do her own thing when needed. AND, as the PP said, she has a history with sexual abuse, and pregnancy brought back a lot of those issues.

Friend 2: Has a kidney disorder. Had trouble finding a BFing friendly med. Also had latch issues.

Friend 3: Must have had latch issues... Major cracked nipples and she said there was so much blood that she started her babe on formula and just stuck with it.

Friend 4: Advanced age/medical issues... wanted fertility to return ASAP so they could try for #2.

Friend 5: Wanted to 'get her rockin' body back'. This one bothers me the most... she wanted to appear on FB as the perfect mom, since she was back to her PP weight almost immediately and would go work out all the time.

Aub's 06-14-2011 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eahcapemay (Post 13149937)
I can think of lots of reasons-

She wants to completely equally co-parent with her husband.

She has to go back to work at a job where pumping will be difficult and she doesn't to deal with a baby who won't take a bottle or drink formula. Or she would rather never have her supply come in then deal with abruptly not pumping/nursing.

She has issues with being touched. These can stem from sexual assault or sensory issues.

She's struggled in the past and wants to just focus on establishing a relationship with her new baby and not on stressing out over establishing her supply.

She just doesn't want to.

I know you didn't intend this post to sound judgy but it does. Formula feeding is a sensitive issue around here and threads like this only deepen the schism. Also your assuming that people are consist in all their choices. They're not. Inconsistency is inherent in human nature. People frequently make life choices that are illogical.

Choosing not to breast feed doesn't make you a bad mom. Choosing to breast feed past 2 doesn't make you a bad mom. Choosing not to feed your child makes you a bad mom.

Although I will admit I get a bit judgy when I see soda in bottles...Really lady your 15 month old demanded his own bottle of RC cola?

These are great reasons, not everyone will agree with FF but not everyone is comfortable with BF either. Oh and I have never put soda in a bottle, I did give my son some soda in a cup at the hospital once but my husband was getting stitches and he was freaking out so I figured that it would calm him. It was like two chugs and I have never done it again :thumbsup: